M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have recently been bitten by the SAA bug. I thought of a Colt clone, but after some research I am leaning more towards a Ruger. I know the Vaquero is the traditional sight style & the Blackhawk more modern with it's adjustable sights. I don't really care about the mechanical differences between a true Colt action & the Ruger's.
With that being said I was considering a model that is convertable. I like the .45 Colt & .45ACP. Does anyone have any experience with this style pistol? I see the Vaquero is available as a Distributor Special from Davidson's in this configuration. I also see the standard NM Blackhawk as well as several distributor specials available as well. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I've had Blackhawks in .44 mag and .45 LC/ACP convertible. I changed the grip on the .45, to one with more of a bisley shape. I regret letting them go, especially the .45.
If you think you might want to play with stout loads, the Blackhawk is stronger than the (new) Vaquero.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have the Blackhawk Convertible 45ACP/45Long Colt revolver, 4 5/8", and out of the box they are very accurate. Rugers are one of if not the most durable of revolvers available today and yet are a good value for the price. No question that a genuine Colt Peacemaker or the USFA revolvers are works of art, fit and finish second to none, but cost is quite high in comparison to the Ruger Blackhawks and don't believe they would take the use/abuse the Ruger would. I carry mine quite a lot and load with 6 rounds and not a safety issue with their design. Have found that with either cylinder, function and accuracy excellent and overall hard to beat for the dollar. Only mods I did to mine is to install one of the steel ejector shrouds in place of the aluminum and adds just enough extra weight to give good balance. Ruger web site provides full video details on complete break down and maintenance of the revolver if needed and other mfg.'s should do the same for the owner. Lot of revolver for the dollar. Yes, you could say I am a big fan of the Ruger Blackhawks of whatever style/caliber.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have recently been bitten by the SAA bug. I thought of a Colt clone, but after some research I am leaning more towards a Ruger. I know the Vaquero is the traditional sight style & the Blackhawk more modern with it's adjustable sights. I don't really care about the mechanical differences between a true Colt action & the Ruger's.
With that being said I was considering a model that is convertable. Most likely between .45 Colt & .45ACP. Does anyone have any experience with this style pistol? I see the Vaquero is available as a Distributor Special from Davidson's in this configuration. I also see the standard NM Blackhawk as well as several distributor specials available as well. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
I like Ruger single actions. I have a NM Blackhawk convertible .45 and a Blackhawk in .357. Haven't gotten around to shooting the .45 but the .357 has been a joy so far. If the adjustable rear sights bother you, ignore them. I learned to shoot single actions in the late 1960s with a Hawes Deputy Sheriff that didn't have a rear sight so I still just use the front sight. Ruger gets my vote.

Reactions: mkd357

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm a big fan of single actions too. I've owned Rugers and Ubertis but I finally had to break down and buy the original. Found one last spring made in 1978 still new in the box with the factory zip tie in place locking the action. It's now my woods bumming companion. Caliber .44 special and I use the Skeeter Skelton load of 7.5 gr. of Unique behind a 240 gr. swc.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm a big fan of single actions too. I've owned Rugers and Ubertis but I finally had to break down and buy the original. Found one last spring made in 1978 still new in the box with the factory zip tie in place locking the action. It's now my woods bumming companion. Caliber .44 special and I use the Skeeter Skelton load of 7.5 gr. of Unique behind a 240 gr. swc.
Very nice Colt. I hope to find a good deal like that someday.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Ruger;

I've owned a Blackhawk of one caliber or another since I can't remember. I prefer the 357/9mm convertible I own. 44 cals were a little more power than I needed. I once owned a Vaquero in 44-40. I really liked that pistol but wasn't set up to reload for it and let it go, to my sorrow.

I have a single-six that I carry with me on the farm. It will do any necessary shooting I need around the barn and pastures. I enjoy the single actions. They don't eat through the ammunition as fast as the semi's.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've owned a Blackhawk of one caliber or another since I can't remember. I prefer the 357/9mm convertible I own. 44 cals were a little more power than I needed. I enjoy the single actions. They don't eat through the ammunition as fast as the semi's.
I thought about the 9mm/.357magnum option. I currently own a Glock 26 & a S&W 66-1 so it would be using ammo I already stock. But I wanted to get into the .45 again, since selling my last one. I figure if I want 9mm I will shoot the Glock. If I want to run .38/.357 I will take out my darling Smith & Wesson. So for me the .45 is the choice in a single action centerfire. I intend to buy some Corbon Hunter loads for when she is in the field with me & use ACP for range time & if I ever carry it for defense. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the design!

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Accuracy in the .45 Blackhawk might be less than stellar with ACP, because of the free bore. Maybe depends on what you think you think you need as a max range for a self defense sidearm. .45 Colt can be loaded to ACP velocities and be very accurate to 50 yards or so.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Accuracy in the .45 Blackhawk might be less than stellar with ACP, because of the free bore. Maybe depends on what you think you think you need as a max range for a self defense sidearm. .45 Colt can be loaded to ACP velocities and be very accurate to 50 yards or so.
True. The acp cylinder is stepped (or so it appears looking through it) to act as a stop for the rimless cartridge. I figure that mine will be accurate enough for point blank range. I'll post a range report once I've fired it with the acp cylinder in.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The DW and I have recently gotten into SASS/CASS....I picked up a Taurus Vaquero w/ case hardened frame in .38/.357

I also picked up a Rossi mod 92 lever rifle with case hardened receiver and octagon barrel in .38/.357.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I lost count a long time ago of the number of Ruger SA revolvers I have owned, . . . traded, . . . bartered, . . . sold, . . . etc.

A few years back, . . . needed a Colt clone for holster making, . . . found a beautiful Beretta in .45LC, . . . and I love it.

Ruger makes an excellent product for the price, . . . run out of ammo, . . . makes a pretty good club too YIKES1

Good luck, . . . but remember, . . . if you just want an SAA, . . . there are some other options out there, . . . and I for one, . . . don't know of any Ruger I'd trade my Beretta for.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The DW and I have recently gotten into SASS/CASS....I picked up a Taurus Vaquero w/ case hardened frame in .38/.357

I also picked up a Rossi mod 92 lever rifle with case hardened receiver and octagon barrel in .38/.357.
Nice set up! I dig it =)>

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pulled the Trigger!

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply! I broke down & bought myself a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .45 colt/ .45 acp. I ended up with a Bisley model in stainless steel. She wears a 5.5" barrel & a set of laminate grips (which match my Gunsite Scout perfectly!) I am not proficient at posting pictures on here so if you are interested in seeing her I put the link to the gunbroker.com auction below. Thanks again guys! I can't wait to shoot my new revolver! DI2

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273909805

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
sweet!
good choice

I'm really missing my .44 Blackhawk of late. Yesterday I was out at the range with my Redhawk trying out some 310gr True Shot GCs, in front of 21 grs of H110. I had high hopes for these as last ditch brown bruin medication. Alas, they knocked the mainspring rod off the hammer spur.
RNGR4
Maybe my fault, I replaced the stock mainspring with a lighter (Wolfe IIRC) one.
I think my Blackhawk would have eaten these whilst telephathing me "is that all you got?"
Saving the day, my .44 carbine liked them just fine.
Now let's see, where the #&*k! did I put those stock Redhawk springs?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I just thought I'd also show my hand made black leather rig I carry that Beretta in. It was made to look as though it was older, . . . faded, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

Reactions: mkd357

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Ruger .45 ACP / Long Colt Convertable

I had one in the early to mid '80s. Blued with walnut grips. (The black grips they have now are kinda cool.) They are terrific guns. I bought mine in Duncan, OK when I was stationed at Ft. Sill. I shot free Army .45 ACP ammo with it at the time and later reloaded .45 Long Colt for it. Mine had the 7" (7.5" ?) barrel. I bought an inexpensive lined Mexican made western rig for it and I was good to go!

My brother had one too and was really pushing the velocity window. For all intents and purposes it was a .45 magnum. The Ruger never flinched. He used it quite successfully for silhouette. He scoped it of course. (He also had a scoped Security Six but that is a different story.)

Buy it you won't be sorry. The only problem is looking down at a box of 250 gr. .45 cal hollow points makes you have an inexplicable urge for a cup of coffee.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.