M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the opportunity to buy and therefor replace my ill-fated SAI M1A, with a new build M1A from an unheard of, (to me) , builder in Ohio. The rifle spec's are as follows:

Early/New 7.62 firearms receiver
New Harrington and Richardson chrome lined barrel.
New HRA op-rod (in spec).
New Winchester bolt and internal parts.
USGI walnut stock in excellent condition.
USGI hand guard in excellent condition.
USGI flash hider with bayonet lug.
New Winchester trigger housing, and hammer.
Comes with one USGI 20 round magazine.
I got him down from $2350 to $2050

Has any one heard of this builder. Tom Lorenz?
Are all 7.62 receivers forged? Any problems with the early ones?
Opinions on price?
Opinions from "old salts" particularly welcome.
This is somewhat time sensitive.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Many of the early 7.62mm receivers had the plague so that alone would worry me (not to mention the horizontal scope mount groove wasn't fully machined). I hear the current receivers are a huge improvement and the few I've seen have been nice (sorry, I didn't take them from the owners and bust out the calipers on them). Get pics, personally, if it doesn't have the full length horizontal groove I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I guess if it were me, I would do one of two things. Either hold it in my hands or ask for some names of past customers to contact. $2300 is a bunch o money for a gun, even if it is a M1a/M14. I have 2 a SA and a mutt as I call it. A custom built conclomeration of military spec parts that is cool but it does not do anything any better than the SA. TRW this and Winchester that and H&R something else. Like I said, cool but not worth what I paid for it 7 years ago. It is like having a Harley and then buying an OCC custom. The OCC is cool with the big FAT rear tire but the Road King stock from Harley is the one you ride to Sturgis. JMHO What happened to the SA M1a if I may ask?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess if it were me, I would do one of two things. Either hold it in my hands or ask for some names of past customers to contact. $2300 is a bunch o money for a gun, even if it is a M1a/M14. I have 2 a SA and a mutt as I call it. A custom built conclomeration of military spec parts that is cool but it does not do anything any better than the SA. TRW this and Winchester that and H&R something else. Like I said, cool but not worth what I paid for it 7 years ago. It is like having a Harley and then buying an OCC custom. The OCC is cool with the big FAT rear tire but the Road King stock from Harley is the one you ride to Sturgis. JMHO What happened to the SA M1a if I may ask?

Total Refund

·
Registered
914 Posts
But... as a buyer of a new SAI NM recently, I'd love to know what problems you had. (Though not if you don't want to talk about it; this may be too painful or enraging a subject for you to bring back up, like talking about that gorgeous girlfriend you thought was "in the bag" forever, but then you caught her in the back seat of someone else's Chevy....).

Or was your "sitch" covered on this board, and you could just link me to the previous discussion.

I think, once I get "Lucy" to the range and really wring her out, I will have to do a range report, a full strip-down & photo session, and then look at any machining &/or functionality problems, etc. And then ask the mob about any good fortune stories, success with an SAI build, etc. I've read so many of the problem stories.... but they probably build and ship more rifles in a week than the custom builders, combined, do in 6 months.

As to a combined parts build, with so many components from so many different vendors, and with what I've learned about all the dimensional variability within this particular platform, I can't help but wonder how on earth a "mutt", as "mtbiker" correctly notes, could possibly be as in spec as a rifle built in one established place (like SAI).

Having said that, it's also strangely weird that SAI just don't get their QA/QC house in order. What have they got to lose, you gotta wonder. Or do they just not really care?

·
Registered
96 Posts
It seems that everyone is trying to supply a niche market with all the AR's and military type rebuilds out there. Buying a military type rifle seems to be more of a hit and miss proposition than ever before, sadly. My very best semi auto militaty rifle as far as accuracy and reliability is an 8mm Mauser Egyptian Hakim. It has never had a misfire or malfunction and will shoot accurately out to as far as I am able. It just simply works every time. Why can't we build them like that now?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.