M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and Merry Christmas everyone.

I'm looking for opinions on the following optics that I eventually want to use on 2 M14S Tankers in the future.

The first rifle is an M14SA LRB Tanker. ( Picked it up in the PX, but wont see it until I get home from a deployment.) I'll be using a Basset mount with this rifle.Right now, I have narrowed it down between 2 different optics.....
http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-CMR-Tactical-Rifle-Scopes-C1519.aspx
http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P9251.aspx
Note: Looking for close to mid range shooting out to 700yds or so with this combo.

The second rifle is an M14S Tanker build, and sports an ARMS #18 split rail older type mount. So far, I have it narrowed down to 2 different scopes for this rifle.
http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classic-V-Rifle-Scope-P2864.aspx
http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-I-Shotgun-Muzzleloader-Scope-P3255.aspx

This set up will be used for hog hunting in brush, so looking for a light in weight, compact optic/quick detach,return to zero rings, with decent FOV for close fast moving targets, and shooting out to around 400yds or so.

Note: I'm on a budget with this, so cant be looking at high dollar optics, unless there is something that these optics cannot do.

Note: Also looking at the Vortex Viper 3-9 as well for another project involving an M1A-A1/Bassett combo as well.

Note: I have just started researching, and this project wont begin until 12 months from now or so. ( Around next xmas time)

Any suggestions about these optics, or optics of similar profile and cost would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Not sure it's in your budget but you may want to check out the Nikon Monarch 2-8X32 for your first setup. No first hand experience but people talk well about them. I recommend this power range for close in to 700/800 yards, 1-4X will work but 2-8X will work better for you.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Not sure it's in your budget but you may want to check out the Nikon Monarch 2-8X32 for your first setup. No first hand experience but people talk well about them.
I'm the one who speaks well of the 2-8x32 Nikon...

Budget's not an issue: the Nikon is less expensive than the other two options mentioned, if you shop around.

Regardless, I usually tell people to go for less magnification, but I'm not sure you really want to try to shoot 700-800yds with a 4x scope (and since when is 700yds "mid range"?!

Bimmer

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm the one who speaks well of the 2-8x32 Nikon...

Budget's not an issue: the Nikon is less expensive than the other two options mentioned, if you shop around.

Regardless, I usually tell people to go for less magnification, but I'm not sure you really want to try to shoot 700-800yds with a 4x scope (and since when is 700yds "mid range"?!

Bimmer
Mid range shooting and out to 700yds. I'm not saying that 700 is midrange. I guess I should have worded that better initially.

My first optic was in the 3x9 range. 4 power worked alright at 700 for me in the past, provided that I had the scope dialed in for that distance.... and this was a very cheap optic. My biggest issue was on the other end of the shooting spectrum where targets were up close and moving fast. 3 power just didn't cut it. I also liked the Leatherwood's illuminated reticle design, although it pushes my cost envelope to the breaking point.

Thanks for the tip on the Nikon. I'll look into them as well

·
Registered
185 Posts
...I'm looking for opinions on the following optics...Leatherwood CMR...Millett-1-4x24 DMS...Looking for close to mid range shooting out to 700yds or so with this combo.
It is no secret here that I have a particular distaste for Chinese made scopes.

Aside from their country of origin, however, I would still strongly advise that you avoid these two scopes.

I once owned a Millett DMS1, and had it mounted on an M1A. It work great for anything out to 300 yards, but after that, the reticle offered nothing in the way of ranging or hold over reference points. I continued to shoot with it until around three hundred rounds, when the recoil finally destroyed the illumination rheostat entirely, making it inoperable.

Speaking of which, the illumination on these optics in nothing like an Aimpoint or other close combat optic. It really is useless in daylight / close engagement shooting.

The 1-4x magnification range of these two scopes is a bit underpowered for your stated purpose. You will likely need something in the 3-9x range, or greater, if you want to successfully identify and engage targets out to the 700 yard range...which, in itself, is pushing the limits of the weapon's practical accuracy.

I would highly recommend that you look for a better alternative. You would be much better served by scope that has a bit more magnification, a more rugged construction, and, if your budget allows, a more reputable manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
My biggest issue was on the other end of the shooting spectrum where targets were up close and moving fast. 3 power just didn't cut it.
Then you're probably right to want a 1-4x.

At 2x it's easy enough to pick up targets at across-the-yard distances, and I can even use it with both eyes open.
However, if you want something really fast for inside 25yds, then it's probably too much...

Since I've been pegged as the Nikon fan, I'll point out that they make nice 1-4x Monarchs, too.

Bimmer

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I went with a burris fulfield2 2-7 tactical. It is fast up close, 7x gets a good view for out there, has a decent bdc, covered target knobs. Swfa had them on clearance a few weeks for about $150.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts