M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I've played with one, just a few magazines. IMHO, I didn't like it. Too small and snappy for a .45.... I do love the XD40/9 compacts though.

They have the same reliability as all of the other XD's, but it's just too light of a gun for that whoppin' .45

If you don't mind the recoil, I'd totally recommend it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I own one, carry it every day with the flush ten round mag and keep a spare full size mag for back up. Hasn't given me any problems, totally reliable and I don't mind the recoil all that much. It fills a role in my toolbox as a small concealable large caliber pistol. I don't go to the range and shoot it because its comfortable though I can tell you that lol

Reactions: Eagle 1

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I don't have experience with the compact but do have a full size XD45.
I can say that it is a very reliable weapon. Feeds a number of different ammo's.

Those two things should translate to the compact.

Reactions: Eagle 1

·
Registered
221 Posts
I carry one daily since the first day they were avail in Alaska. It out groups my 5" XD45. Cannot say how many rounds I have down the tube, I had the data stored in my confuser that got hacked but would guess 3000, not one issue. I trained at least once a week 200 rounds each session, back when I had the time and money. I quite shooting the 45c and train with it on occasion to keep sharp. Even at -40 XD ran 100%, not all short guns can say that in my hands.

Why I like the XD platform is, the ergonomics of the grip is very similar to 1911 but slightly more round but the angle and feel with presentation to the target is the same so, when I draw, present, it is natural on target without adjustment, just like 1911. Even the 45c has the same natural POA. The round count is good but really not needed in self defense but now that these flash gangs are out and about maybe the full capacity is a plus. The bigger double stack mags I find a little easier to grab and hold to load than single stack.

The trigger has a longer reset, some claim the high bore weight but has never been an issue with me.

The sight picture is a true 6 oclock.

Like any platform, train and learn its highs and lows use the highs and overcome the lows.

My main reason that I like them is they drive the Glock lovers crazy.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! Any suggestions for a holster and mag pouch? I'm not likin' the hard plastic stuff that came with it.

Eagle 1

·
Registered
122 Posts
I carry iwb with a crossbreed supertuck or owb with either a comp tac kydex or blackhawk serpa

·
Registered
440 Posts
The XD .45acp Compact is a good pistol IMHO. It concealed carries better then the standard model. It still has the option to take standard mags. When doing so, particularly with the grip extension sleeve on the mag it is like shooting a standard. I didn't find it too snappy like some other posters did. It should be a fine weapon & serve you well Eagle. & +1 on the blackhawk serpa for hip carry.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Just be careful with the SERPA's. I got rid of the chances of me doing this by stuffing a foam earplug under the button to disable it. In stressful situations people tend to press the button with the tip of their finger instead of the side of their finger, so when the gun is out of the holster, your finger goes directly into the trigger guard and BOOM.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE&feature=related[/ame]

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have an XD45 Compact and can also provide positive feedback for it. I mostly keep a full size, sleeved magazine in the gun because it's not my primary carry pistol. However, it shoots just fine for me with the 10-rd magazines; recoil is not an issue for me.

The gun is very reliable. I bought mine a few weeks before attending a training course but didn't have a chance to shoot it before the class. So the first 900+ rounds through the gun were at the 3-day course with no cleaning and no malfunctions.

My only gripe about the gun is the long, mushy factory trigger pull. I had a Springer Precision "Combat Carry" trigger job done, so my XD45 now has the trigger function I think it should have had straight from the factory. (It's still not close to the factory trigger on my Kimber Compact CDP II. Different designs - apples & oranges, I know...)

SOAPBOX1 mode ON

I ran the class using a SERPA holster and I will agree with what Tex said in his video - his accident was his own fault, not the holster's. Several factors combined to result in his accident, most notably the drill he was running, coupled with the fact that he had been training earlier with a different gun and holster. He carried the earlier techniques into this immediate action drill and ended-up shooting himself.

In the laws of learning, it's called "Interference" - the practices or techniques used with one system do not work with another system, but those habits developed with the first system can interfere with proper execution when using the second system.

The SERPA holsters are designed so the release tab does NOT sit over the trigger of the gun. Close, yes, but if you keep your finger extended while drawing the pistol, your trigger finger will be resting on the slide of the gun, not over the trigger.

I'd read some years ago about a single grain of sand wedging into the release tab of a SERPA holster, locking it up and preventing pistol draw. That and this accident are each what I consider to be "one off" occurances, which can happen with any product, so I don't see any need to stop using SERPAs because something, at some point in time, could possibly happen. Be careful, of course, but be careful with everything firearms-related.

Just my $.02...

SOAPBOX1 mode OFF

BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
684 Posts
I like'em. I bought an HK at the same time and it's junk next to the XD and twice the money.

I carried a 1911 for a few years in the army and NOTHING beats the .45 at O'dark:30

·
Registered
914 Posts
A few thoughts

Just be careful with the SERPA's. I got rid of the chances of me doing this by stuffing a foam earplug under the button to disable it. In stressful situations people tend to press the button with the tip of their finger instead of the side of their finger, so when the gun is out of the holster, your finger goes directly into the trigger guard and BOOM.

Please define SERPA. I assume it's some sort of retention system on a Kydex holster, yes? Thx.

I'll write a thread here shortly about my own two "negligent discharges" [GI3]. Hey: I'm a responsible adult; I can take the humiliating abuse that disclosure may create, but it's worth telling the tale to possibly save someone else from doing the same thing. I don't have a video, but still....

I have an XD45 Compact and can also provide positive feedback for it. I mostly keep a full size, sleeved magazine in the gun because it's not my primary carry pistol. However, it shoots just fine for me with the 10-rd magazines; recoil is not an issue for me.

The gun is very reliable. I bought mine a few weeks before attending a training course but didn't have a chance to shoot it before the class. So the first 900+ rounds through the gun were at the 3-day course with no cleaning and no malfunctions.

My only gripe about the gun is the long, mushy factory trigger pull. I had a Springer Precision "Combat Carry" trigger job done, so my XD45 now has the trigger function I think it should have had straight from the factory. (It's still not close to the factory trigger on my Kimber Compact CDP II. Different designs - apples & oranges, I know...)
As to the SA XD(M) system in general, I found t to be one of, if not, the, current best op system in a pistol. I"d happily crry one into battle; it's a far cry in terms of functionality and ergonomics from teh Canadian Inglis-built P-35 Browning/FN Hi-Power I carried up there!

It disassembles lightning-fast, and with that "match" bbl, it's absurdly accurate. More like a target pistol, IMHO.

BTW, mine is only a 9mm, and I do not like the 9 in general, but I wanted a SHTF auto, as well as a demo to "sell" my customers on, and mostly they can't handle or "don't like" the recoil of a .45 auto pistol. Aawwwwhhh....

And besides, when TWAWKI goes amok, what other ammo will you be likely and easily be able to coax out of a passing National Guard APC, with an offer of a couple of six-packs of very cold Sam Adams, and some egg salad sandwiches on homemade French bread? With a big dill pickle on the side? (That's NOT a typical MRE choice I don't think...)

"Here you go, guys! Enjoy. Say... you don't happen to have a spare can of 9mm do yah? I'm runnin' a bit low what with having to plink at those pesky starving liberals lurking in these bushes and all? Why, thanks! Hey... stop by again next week! (Oh, and I also have an M1A. You remember: 7.62mmm from back in the day?)"

So, the 9's a practical consideration and at 19+1 rounds, it almost reminds me of my old CanArmy Sterling! But the .45 XD(M) is probably as great as the 9mm. These are the pistols I'd happily carry into real-time battle these days. Or a Kimber 1911 or similar custom. I do tell folks: if your life is going to depend on it, you can't do better than a SIG. As well, now SIG even has their own new 1911 clone. It's probably flawless, but predictably pricey.

My own PARA LDA compact is a bit of a rock'n'roller when you touch it off, but then, it's also a very handy and compact 1911. The slide's a bit tough for my aging hands to pull back, and that may also be an issue with the compact Springer. I also imagine the improved ergonomics of the compact .45 XD(M) tends to help with all of that.

Go for it.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Problem with the Blackhawk Serpa is first the plastic belt backer tends to break if the pistol is trying to be taken from you. The pistol retention holds the pistol, but the whole holster can be riped off your person. I believe they addressed this somewhat, but it still happens.
The next problem that has been brought up is debris getting in behind the release. Pretty much have to cut the holster off if that happens.
The final problem is operator error. People in trying to be fast, or under stress like to draw their weapon and instantly put their finger on the trigger. The Serpa does promote this mistake. With pistol like the XD and others without manual safeties, one tends to shoot themselves by this practice.
I have two Serpa's I don't mind it with the 1911's since I have the manual thumb safety on them, but one time I did find myself almost going for the trigger with the XD. At least I had the mind enough not to. I'd use them for day to day carry, but I wouldn't use them for duty. I believe many departments have either stopped or won't allow them to be used. I'll be using Safariland for my holster needs in the future.

As far as the XD goes. I don't do compacts. I have too big of hands where I don't like them much. I do however have a XD 45 service model. It is very nice, and reliable. A Springer Precision trigger kit really helps in making the trigger better. While factory sights are adequate, there are nicer options. No complaints with the pistol otherwise. It is a solid performer and quite accurate I might add.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.