M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Havn't posted in a while. I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan and have ordered some goods for my M1A for when I'm home on leave.

As it stands its a SA M1A standard, with a Sadlak Industries Airborne Scope Mount, Recoil Buffer, a Counter Sniper 4x16 scope (got it from a friend for little money when i was stationed in Benning), and a Harris Bi-Pod.

I have ordered a JA-1000 stock with all the bells and whistles on it, and am going to order the Sadlak Industries magazine release and operating rod, and the Smith Enterprises bolt release thing.

My question is that with the scope I have on there now it is ok...but isn't holding its zero all that well. I'm looking to spend somewhere around 500$ on a scope. All I'm use to in the Army is hi-end stuff like our Leupold MK4s, ACOGs, etc. Will a Nikon 4x16 scope?

I was looking at these

http://swfa.com/Nikon-4-16x42-Monarch-Riflescope-P42336.aspx

http://swfa.com/Nikon-4-16x50-Monarch-Riflescope-P11159.aspx

How will they stand up to the recoil of the 7.62? I don't want to buy something and have it be worthless in a few years...if thats the case, I'll just save up for a leupold and buy that instead.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have (2) Monarch scopes, one on a .338 rem ultra mag and one on a .270. Both have stood up to mutiple hunts and shots. There good scopes
Todd

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
... it is ok...but isn't holding its zero all that well.
That's NOT okay.

The search function will turn up my praises of Nikon Monarchs...

My only advice would be to shop around a lot. The prices on these vary wildly, and there are real bargains to be found using Google Shopping or even eBay.

Bimmer

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ha, well yea...i no its not that okay...but basically for getting it for 90% off i couldn't really complain.

I was also looking at getting a Vortex Viper
http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x50-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13287.aspx

It's just wierd to me, because I don't tend to associate these companys with high performance, durable scopes. I think Trijicon, EOTECH, Leupold, Aimpoint, Night Force etc.

Thanks for the input though, I'll keep searching for a better price!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know its the "House Brand", but check out the super sniper line @ SWFA. They are getting good reviews.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
ha, well yea...i no its not that okay...but basically for getting it for 90% off i couldn't really complain.
Maybe I'm ungrateful, but somebody would have to pay me to accept anything that doesn't work and causes me frustration...

It's just wierd to me, because I don't tend to associate these companys with high performance, durable scopes.
Honestly, I'd never heard of "Vortex" or "Super Sniper" before a couple years ago, and I'd hesitate to buy one — no offense to anybody using one.

As for Nikon: there are millions of pro photographers paying a lot of money for and using (and abusing, and continuing to use) Nikon cameras and lenses. I figure they probably know what they're doing...

·
Registered
183 Posts
both those Nikon's on the SWFA website are side-focus. I read somewhere that M1As are hard on side-focus scopes. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
The viper you are looking at are very good especially for the $. They have a great warranty and cs. You shouldn't have to use either though. A word of caution though, they have relatively short eye relief and it gets evenshorter when you move up through the mag range and exit pupil gets considerably smaller as well making head position critical. I have one on my bolt gun and went with a lower mag scope for my m14s for that reason. Not to mention the weight...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmmm, thanks for the replys gentlemen.

I'll seriously consider the Nikon one, and the Vortex Viper. Any one have any personal experience with them? Also what about M1As giving scopes with a side focus a rough time?

Thanks

LT

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've got two Nikon 2-8's with the BDC. One on my Savage HB 308 boltgun, and the other on my M1A Loaded Stainless. Both are great scopes, with a very useful magnification range.

Kevin

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a Nikon Monarch on my Rem 700. I got it with the BDC. I love it. I only have one complaint. You may have the same complaint as me. It sounds like you are in the sniper community as well. The reticle for the BDC is a little too thick for me. As you said , you are only used to using high end scopes that are being issued in the military today. I was raised on Unertl, U.S. optics. So when I got out and started building my own, I was a little spoiled. I hunt with the rifle. It is great for that. When I go to the range its a little more difficult to play long ball. The reticle just isnt that thin crisp line that you like when shooting long. It can still be done, but you can notice it. I also have a Super Sniper on my M1a. I absolutely love it. I paid about $300 for it new from SWFA. Its not high end but I would put it up there with anything under $1200. But thats me. The M1A really beats up scopes. The SS takes a pounding. I have shot over 3,000 rds with it. Still passes the box test. I have gone to 700 with both scopes. Both did very well. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts