M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to trade for a Springfield M1 Garand in 308 worked on by Roland Beaver. It is not one of his custom builds, but it was a parts kit built by him with documentation. I am not very familiar and was wondering if anyone with more knowledge could chime in with opinion.
Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I would do it in a heartbeat! M&P 9mm and shotguns are a dime a dozen. There is not alot of Professionaly built .308 Garands floating around. JMO

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I thought, both of my trades are nothing special. I just do not know much about the builder. Thanks

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Roland has built some good rifles, he's picky about the parts he uses. You need to get the best look you can at the barrel wear as .308 barrels are in tight supply right now and a good one runs pretty high $.

·
Registered
156 Posts
sounds good

the only concern is where the rifle has been since being rebuilt. When it left the shop it was in all probability an excellent piece built by a Master. Even though it was built from a kit, some Masters will not do your rebuild with parts that they feel are sub par. The customer is not always right, but a good gunsmith usually is.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I would trade and even throw in some money if need be. Work by Roland Beaver is top notch! I have bought rifles from Roland, and I have always been well pleased.

·
Banned
951 Posts
Trade=Deal+

Mr Beaver ( Ilove saying that) has built thousands of m1 and m14, as I recall some gi bolt guns. As others have stated first class work. As far as who owned it after rebuild thats nothing to me, ck te, muzzle, bore , wood to metal fit. Your pistol and shotgun bring aprox 700.00, I just trade here a nice .308 garand for a socom (and 200.00) in other words value of non Roland rifle 1100.00....one of his rifles add 400.00 so its a 1500.00 easy depending how souped up it is. trade it asap...its a deal.USAF2

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will try to get better pics, but here they are. Top one is the Roland Beaver in 308, other is my "Tanker in 308" and my Polytech M1A. Begining of my M1 platform collection, which I see can be very addicting. So much for my Fals

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Several years ago, just after the first Assault rifle weapons ban, my brother and I ordered 308 Tanker Garands from Roland Beaver built to my specs, ie heavy match Obermeyr barrels, Leupold Scout Scope in Leupold QD lever mount with full match mods.

My thoughts, were these rifles, being Garands, would be rugged, reliable, accurate, handy, and legal anywhere in the US for the foreseable future...

I also bought a Beaver Tanker at a gun show in 30-06. This gun had a standard Obermeyer barrel with no Match mods.

It was a great shooter as well.

When we got our 308 Beaver Tankers we were not disappointed. They shoot like a Match rifle should.

All have been 100% reliable.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have to wonder something: what about the original 30.06 M1 are folks trying to get away from, by rebuilding as .308?

- Recoil in 30.06 is not bad at all (compared to an 03A3 that is)
- Surplus 30.06 seems more plentiful
- Accuracy (IMHO) would be a wash with iron sights
- Tanker? Buy a carbine. :)

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I have to wonder something: what about the original 30.06 M1 are folks trying to get away from, by rebuilding as .308?

I have three M1's in .30-06, two H&R's and one Springfield, also have one in .308. The .308 is based on a Springfield receiver from the CMP and the rest NOS parts or excellent, and a brand new Criterion barrel. I just went with the custom built .308 because it's a little different, it's very accurate, and I just plain like it! By the way, I barely notice recoil with a 1903A3.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

I think I can provide some answers to your question as I have had standard Garands and Tanker Garands in both 30/06, and 308.

The main reason to get a 308 Garand is if many of your other
rifles are 308's. I learned to shoot High Power in a DCM class with a DCM Garand.

But when I bought my first Garand it was a 308, because my hunting rifle, my work rifles and my Sillhoute rifle were all 308's...

Then like ALL Americans should, I got my DCM Garand [now the CMP], in 30/06.

When the first assault weapons ban went into effect, I ordered a Tanker Garand in 308 from Roland Beaver [all Match Mods, with a Scout Scope, it is an excellent rifle]. I thought someday, a Garand may be the only[rugged] semiauto rifle a citizen can have.

While waiting for delivery I saw a fella at a Gun Show selling a Beaver Tanker in 30/06, so I bought it.

In shooting all of them side by side, I see no advantage of a 308 over the 30/06, except that the 30/06 Garand should not be shot with current factory hunting ammo, as it is loaded with a powder too slow for the Garand system.

So, just buy a bunch of the CMP ammo or the Federal or Hornady ammo designed for the 30/06 and load you own hunting ammo with powders from IMR 3031, to 4895, or no slower than 4064.

Most Garand experts say 4895 is the best.

I use IMR 3031 just because I have a bunch of it on hand.
I use proven Match loads just substuting a hunting bullet, starting low and working up, but my loads are not max, just good loads with long brass life and easy on the gun...

EVERYBODY should have a Garand. The CMP is a very good place to get one.

The Roland Beaver Garands I have shot have been excellent.

Just get a bunch of the 8 round clips, and if you are in a state that limits you to only 5 rounds when hunting with a semi auto just get a few of the 5 round clips, they work great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts