M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, need some opinions. I have a budget of $300 for a scope and have a NM M1a. the good news is Santa is brining me a Bassett low piccanny mount! and I'm trying to decide on a scope. I like Leupolds and have a few lower end older VX-I and Leupold rimfire which work well for me and are dependable...SO I am wondering for the same price of $299, should I get a VX-2 3x9x40 or a VX-1 4x12x40?

I know the newer VX-1s and 2s are better than the I and II, but is the VX-2 is optically that much better than VX-1? I may go that way, but if not maybe try the extra power for 4x12 (although 3x more may not make that much diff?)
Are the mechanicals the same?

While I think I may shoot at 200 every so often, doubt I will do that much as I am range limited and mostly at 100-150yds. BUT one day I might get to stretch its legs to 300-400. I may also hunt whitetails with it next year (ranges max 100). I hunt with a 3x9x40 VX-I on my 30-06 bolt mauser.

Opinions??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Scope Range

This might help your decision as I found this formula for a scopes range as follows:

Scope Image: Yards / Power
Example: 350 Yards / 14x = 25 yards
A 350 yard target at 14x magnification a target will look as if it is at 25 yards

Scope Range : 1x = 25 yards
Example: 14x times 25 yards = 350 yards

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks much absnchs.

Yes I opened my santa present and it was a low bassett piccanny! now to decide on a scope...any other opinions from anyone on the two leupold scopes just let me know...appreciate it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
decided

after probably way too much time searching many different scope options on this and other forums over the last week, I finally decided to pull the trigger on a VX-2 3x9x40 with the Long Range Reticle (was extra 30 bucks for the reticle). I went with low Leupold PWR rings. Hope I made the right choice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You might try looking at the Leupold AR Mod 1 3x9, since the non-firedot one sells for approx $300. I like these scopes since optically they are equivalent to the VX2 range and the 55grn 223 is the same as the 167grn to 500 yard in regards to trajectory. I especially like these scopes with the firedot reticule because of there weight, since they are the only one inch scopes that leupold make, other than the grand slam with firedot reticules. The other scope I would consider is the Redfield BattleZone 3x9

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Done and Installed

Thanks for everyone's help. I ordered and recieved the Vx-2 and roughly installed it (haven't torque all down yet). eye relief is good, and it does not look like i will need a cheek rest! I will say i wish i would have put some tape on the scope somehow before i snapped the rings on (the top rings are more than 180 degree hold), as slightly scratched tube getting them on. The reticle will take some getting used to for me, while it is functional I'm sure, it is a bit distracting for me since i'm not used to it. I probably should have just gotten the duplex.

Hopefully will get to shoot it in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
looks good
Lruss

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
I just picked up a vx2 3x9 CDs for my a bolt. Perfect for this rifle and with an external elevation turret those longer range hunts will be no problem...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice set up Gunlover05.

You made the right choice on the VX-2.

I've got a Weaver Tactical Grandslam, 3-10x40 from Midway on mine but have been looking at the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1, 4-12x40 pretty seriously. I'm pretty happy with the Weaver but the extra magnification is appealing.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
If someone could make a U.S.O. quality scope and sell it at a Bushnell or Weaver like price range, they would put all the other scope makers out of business. I want a USO for my M21 Tactical, but a Nikon M308 sits on it right now. I will eventually start a savings fund to get a USO, but for now the M308 does great. I have a like new Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x50 with target turrets that I may try out on one of my 14s. I have considered swapping the M308 for the Ziess, but I really have no complaints with the Nikon, no yet anyway.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks nice...let everyone know how it shoots..
It shoots great! scope is ok for what I need.

Gun shot 1.1" for 5 shots @ 100yds with 40.5gr H4895 dropped into virgin pulled and primed LCLR brass with 168gr SMKs at 2.8 OAL. couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Good to hear that it is working out for you! Are you liking the LR reticle more now? I ask because I am now facing the same decisions... I am looking at the scope you got vs a 12x fixed (FX) and at first I figured on the fine duplex but now am considering the LR...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to hear that it is working out for you! Are you liking the LR reticle more now? I ask because I am now facing the same decisions... I am looking at the scope you got vs a 12x fixed (FX) and at first I figured on the fine duplex but now am considering the LR...
I have not used the LR redicle as only shot at 100yds so far...but to be honest would not choose it again for my general purpose shooting, I would go normal duplex or better even the fine duplex

1 - 16 of 16 Posts