M14 Forum banner

Opinions about N Idaho, W Montana and W Wyoming...

7866 30
We are hopefully going to put California in our rear-view mirror in a few years, and are starting to plan our move. We will be taking another trip up there soon and would like to get some feedback from some members who live in these states.

I would prefer the boonies, but we have kids and grand-kids following who will need work. Weather, cost-of-living, taxes, conservative politics, cities to avoid (like Missoula) etc all play into the decision. We have spent some time in CDA and south Idaho, and a little time in western Montana, but no experience with Wyoming.

Primarily looking from Kootenai/Shoshone county north to Sand Point in Idaho, western Montana, and Star Valley Wyoming, but open to other areas, just no high-desert. Any feedback would be great. Looking for a minimum of 5 acres, hopefully more.

Thanks for any input
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Banned
4,810 Posts
Considerations....

Hobo.

Overall our medical is good. Major medical within an 60-90 minutes for us, is what my wife is comfortable with. Our kids will probably be closer into town/city for work and medical (having babies etc).

I would encourage you to "revisit" the topic of residing near Missoula.

You can locate 30 miles outside of Missoula and have farm or ranch surroundings.

Missoula is the "doubled edge sword" on conditions. They have the International Heart Institute / Providence Hospital. I received care from a cardiologist who recently relocated to Missoula from the Mayo clinic. Check the kind of coverage you would get in other areas.... I agree that Walmart has drawn a crowd in Missoula.... LOL

Kalispell has 3 -4 million tourist a year going to Glacier Park, Billings is more industrial, Bozeman is a higher income area, Great Falls is larger than the capitol city of Helena....

Anywhere you go in Montana involves a long drive...

Bring your RV up and stay for a few weeks in some different areas to get a feel for the area.

Good jobs are filled by a relative or friend before someone from out of state.

Don't say your from California and change the plates on your vehicle as soon as possible. Get a MT drivers license as soon as possible because you must be here 6 months (by DL date) in order to apply for CCL.....

Best of luck.

Hobo

· Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks Hobo, that is some good info. Can you give me a summary on the weather by region in Montana? I know all of it can get cold, but I've heard that their are some "banana belts" in the state.

· Registered
1,625 Posts
I grew up and still live in northern Utah. I have been in most of the places you mention quite often. While Wyoming taxes look attractive it is almost always cold and windy there. Idaho has some great spots. My experience with Montana is also a cold one.

I will say one thing about Utah. I do believe that Utah will be the last state to hold onto our 2A rights while others collapse. We even have a state gun, the 1911.

Good luck with your move. I cannot believe what is going on in CA. I cannot believe that people can be that beguiled. I attended a rifle course near Sacramento last year and the sponsors were so paranoid about protesters that they would not tell us where the range was until we showed up on site. For real. I am so sorry. CA used to be one of my favorite places and now I just hate to go there even for Disneyland.

You are certainly welcome in Utah but it sounds like that one is off your list.

· Registered
920 Posts
I attended a rifle course near Sacramento last year
Appleseed by any chance? I went to it in April out at that huge range called Sacramento Valley (near Folsom I think) - with I think 10 or 11 ranges, with several long-distance ones. Impressive site. I hear tell it's the largest one in the west. Shame it's out in CA.

Heard good stuff about Utah too. Ain't been down yet. I hear people from Boise pay drivers to go down to SLC to get stuff from IKEA. If that ain't a clear sign they're ex-Cal I don't know what is! GI2

· Registered
1,625 Posts
It was actually not an official range. It was done on a private ranch. A long distance rifle course.

Here in Utah we have a lot of ranges. I was invited a few years back to the local private range. I now have a key. The local private range goes out to 600 yards. Mr Shmitty is also a member.

· Registered
1,164 Posts
Pardon me for just a second with a momentary thread drift: I went to a couple of sniper shoots/seminars put on by Derrick Bartlet and Snipercraft in Elk Grove, somewhere close to Sacramento. For the shooting portion of the thing, we all drove about a half hour/ maybe 45 minutes from Elk Grove to a fancy nice range. I don't remember the name of the range, but it sounds a lot like what you guys are describing. We shot out to 200, and was it 300?- and that was the farthest you could shoot there. It sure was a large, busy range.

· Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the info Steed, and for the invite into your state.

I look forward to the "freedoms" (sad that I have to say that in the U.S.) you have there.

I grew up and still live in northern Utah. I have been in most of the places you mention quite often. While Wyoming taxes look attractive it is almost always cold and windy there. Idaho has some great spots. My experience with Montana is also a cold one.

I will say one thing about Utah. I do believe that Utah will be the last state to hold onto our 2A rights while others collapse. We even have a state gun, the 1911.

Good luck with your move. I cannot believe what is going on in CA. I cannot believe that people can be that beguiled. I attended a rifle course near Sacramento last year and the sponsors were so paranoid about protesters that they would not tell us where the range was until we showed up on site. For real. I am so sorry. CA used to be one of my favorite places and now I just hate to go there even for Disneyland.

You are certainly welcome in Utah but it sounds like that one is off your list.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.