M14 Forum banner

Operation (Overwatch) M21 with my PVS-14 and Nightforce

7K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  SRA 
#1 ·
So theres about 10,000$ in this photo alone.
PVS-14 in Multicam Hand select with weapons kit= 3500
Night Enforcer (Mod Armory) PVS-14 day scope adapter=200
M21 with Krieger barrel= 3300
Atlas Bipod= 250
Nightforce 3-15 =2000
Springfield Gen4 = 150

Ability to annihilate anything in my 800yd range = PRICELESS!!

Yes it makes you shift your eye position dramatically, but its worth having this capability.

See less See more
#6 ·
Yes, but any illumination is too much for the PVS14

I also have the new Nightforce with the green reticle, but color doesnt seem to make any difference. The lowest setting of the scope is still too bright for the PVS. But you really dont need illumination. Its MUCH easier to find a black reticle, than to try and look past a reticle that is (Blooming out) your field of view.

#26 ·
That's a good question and a very nice set up BTW to the original poster.

I have a PVS-14 but the .308 recoil is a little over the top for the recoil rating of the PVS-14 NV scope. .223 / 6.8 and I have seen 7.62 X 39 listed as "safe" calibers but the .308 has a lot higher recoil impulse so be nice to your NV tube.

The non-thin film tubes are suppose to be more recoil tolerant than the autogated thin film image tubes. Mine is an OMNI IV spec tube and I am impressed every time I turn it on in the dark. WAY cool technology.

#15 ·
Havent shot it with the 308. I have a 6.8 AR that it works awesome on. My 6.8 is very light, and my 308 is pretty damn heavy. Probably almost double my 6.8. So Im not sure of the difference in recoil between the 2.

I think my 308 recoils less than my 6.8 because I shoulder my 6.8, and its a carry rifle. My M21 mostly gets shot from this position from the bipod.

#24 ·
Well, i just ordered more Nightvision goodies.
I ordered a helmet, RHino PVS14 mount, DBAL IR laser system, Torch Pro IR illuminator, all the mounts and rails to go with it, a surefire helmet mount lighting system.

So by watching Youtube videos, I should be all set for nighttime stalking and hunting.

#29 ·
All of the above statements are true. Please do think I was firing my M21 with the PVS mounted. Its now sitting on my 6.8 with an Aimpoint quick release. And the 6.8 now has a Vortex Sparc. I removed the Us Optics from it and will now be my close range 100-200yd weapon for hogs/deer. I will post pics of the 6.8 with its new configuration in the AR section.

I guess in hindsight I should have stated that it was for a (Photoshoot) only, lol. And thanks for those above to clear up the recoil capabilities of the PVS. It could be confusing if another member or non-member stumbled across this post and decided to do the same thing and damage the equipment.

#30 ·
madppcs.
Looks very nice, wish I had NV capability. I'm not up on the available systems, but the weapons mounted NV that I have previously seen, had the NV devices mounted in front of the main optic. That flip to side mount looks pretty neat, but I'm wondering if you have found the need to shift your head position furhter back on the rifle, to be at all inconvenient?
BTW, I'd kill for a range like that on my own property, very nice!

#32 ·
PINNACLE represents the latest and greatest night vision technology and is the U.S. Military’s Gen4.
The Gen4 is designed to eliminate the ion barrier film in the tube that limits the amount of light able to be gathered in the first place.

The film is important, though because it also protects the sensitive Photocathode in the tube from the damage caused by positive ions striking it as the light photons are converted into electrons and multiplied. In essence, the film greatly extends the service life of the tube.

The military’s request for Gen4 was to eliminate this film to allow the maximum amount of light in to the tube, giving it more light to amplify and resulting in a better, crisper image for the warfighter. The development cycle proved that by eliminating the film, the tubes were becoming damaged very quickly and could not sustain a desirable life.

So, ITT’s scientists developed a thinner film than the original barrier used in Gen3 tubes. This new film is 10,000 times thinner than a human hair and allows noticeably more light transfer than the standard, thicker, Gen3 tubes.

This new super-thin film technology, combined with an enhanced auto-gated power supply, improved hole size of the Micro-channel Plate, a more sensitive Photocathode, and other advancements, represents ITT’s PINNACLE Technology and is the military specification Gen4 for the newest Omni VII contract, because it still uses a film.

NOTE: This is a summary I saved a while ago from someone much smarter and more knowledgable than I on this subject... I will post the source if as soon as I can relocate it.

#35 ·
What Ive quickly learned is that a day scope loses WAY to much light transfer for the Pvs, when mounted behnd a day optic. The best setup that is quickly becoming my fav is the PVS mounted behind a Vortex Sparc. Its got a nightvision setting on the dot, so its perfect for brightness. And with my Inforce IR lights, inside 10yds is no problem. I have MUCH more stuff from TNVC such as a helmet, DBAL laser system, all the rails and mounts and of course the TNVC torch pro. This is supposed to be the mack daddy IR illuminator, but most of these goodies have a 8 week backorder. So Ill keep yall posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.