M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched to no avail for a replacement open/notch rear sight for M1/M14/M1A. My preference is a square notch, but a 'U' or 'V' would be workable.

Why?

This forum noob hates peep sights! I have astigmatism, so instead of the fuzzy circle most shooters see, I see a canted cat's-eye shape. GI3 Aggravating that is the constant, minor changes in the shape.

It is horrible for accuracy, but with open sights (ex: basic Ruger 10/22, Glock or Mosin-Nagant), I don't have problems.

I'd love to have an M1A version of this drop-in replacement for ARs:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ep-rear-sight-sku100-003-250-25128-51065.aspx

But this is exactly what I'd like to try on my M1A. I have looked and looked and googled and googled. But I cannot find an equivalent..

Any ideas?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Perhaps a gunsmith could take a standard M14 peep sight and modify it into a open U ... just a thought....

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Small file or a dremel tool? File it until the bottom is square. Maybe an 03 Springfield sight will work.
Bob

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if you could actually use a "notch" type rear sight so close to your eye? I know I can't.
Good point. I have the optics mount from SA, so an open sight on a Picatinny rail may work better. The only question will be the height of the rail & whether or not It will work with the front sight. If I have to get a dovetail riser for the front sight, I'm it AR-15 parallax territory!

·
Premium Member
16,194 Posts
As mentioned above, contact Shootingsight, he can fix you up for a fee.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Thank you POLACK, for posting those, I would have but I have enough trouble making phone calls from my smart phone.

To the OP, give some thought to prescription shooting glasses also. I have found that I need +0.50 on top of my distance correction. Where the astigmatism is a treat is when I'm in sitting and my lens is a little "off-axis" due to head placement. Everyone is different.

·
Eye Master
3,899 Posts
1. Happy to make you one for $50. I'll toss an aperture on a surface grinder and take off the top half, then use a mill to square up the bottom half of the aperture.

2. Pretty sure it will be a waste of your money, and it won't work. I think a V-notch that close to your eye will be too blurry to work.

3. Recommend you get shooting glasses that have your distance vision with an extra +0.50 added to it. THis will correct your astigmatism and make the aperture sights usable for you. At the end of the day, aperture sights ARE better than V-notch, and that is one of the reasons the M1 was a much better weapon than the Mausers or Arisakas of our enemies.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Had an HK91 years back, it has a rotating rear sight drum with an open notch and 3 apertures. It was ok but I used the aps more often, the open was zeroed for close work IIRC.

Also, the 91 RS may be a couple inches further forward when shouldered than an M1A, if you're a taller individual it could work better with a lengthened stock/recoil pad. A slip on model could work for trial purposes, this regarding using the open notch rear sight combo.

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
Had an HK91 years back, it has a rotating rear sight drum with an open notch and 3 apertures. It was ok but I used the aps more often, the open was zeroed for close work IIRC.

Also, the 91 RS may be a couple inches further forward when shouldered than an M1A, if you're a taller individual it could work better with a lengthened stock/recoil pad. A slip on model could work for trial purposes, this regarding using the open notch rear sight combo.
True. The HK G3 battle sight setting is the 200 meter apature . The notch according to their manual was intended for low light or up close and personal conditions.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would prescription shooting glasses help?
Yes. And no.

What is this RichFool noob saying????

I forgot to mention this: Because of medications & diabetes, my tear film level is unstable. Also, my eyes are "squinty" to the point that my upper lid partially covers my pupil, which puts my eyelashes in my field of vision.

I can't really see them, but it is unpleasant to drive at night because taillights and headlights look like star-bursts.

EDIT: Both of these are really bad for using iron sights. And vision in general.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Yes. And no.

I forgot to mention this: Because of medications & diabetes, my tear film level is unstable. Also, my eyes are "squinty" to the point that my upper lid partially covers my pupil, which puts my eyelashes in my field of vision.

I can't really see them, but it is unpleasant to drive at night because taillights and headlights look like star-bursts.

EDIT: Both of these are really bad for using iron sights. And vision in general.
And also bad for driving, I see and pile up in the near future.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes. And no.

I feel your pain, I have keratoconus without corrective special hard contact lenses my left eye see double, and right eye sees 5 connected with a halo lol try looking down iron sights with that. With the contacts my left eye sees normal and right eye is down to two images, night time driving is very difficult without the contacts, manageable with. Shooting for me is still a fun time even with my CENSOREDGI vision, i do really like the peep sites more then regular sights however.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And also bad for driving, I see and pile up in the near future.
I don't drive much, so that cuts way back on the risk.

The worst is a small section of urban 4-lane near a local shopping centers. It is poorly lit and very congested. At night, the oncoming lanes look like white stars (headlights) and the lanes in front of me look like red stars from the taillights.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I feel your pain, I have keratoconus without corrective special hard contact lenses my left eye see double, and right eye sees 5 connected with a halo lol try looking down iron sights with that. With the contacts my left eye sees normal and right eye is down to two images, night time driving is very difficult without the contacts, manageable with. Shooting for me is still a fun time even with my CENSOREDGI vision, i do really like the peep sites more then regular sights however.
Seems you have it worse. I prefer iron sights -- open or peep -- because I have this notion that using a scope is somehow cheating. For a combat rifle, I would prefer open sights to peep sights simply because of more-rapid acquisition.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I don't drive much, so that cuts way back on the risk.

The worst is a small section of urban 4-lane near a local shopping centers. It is poorly lit and very congested. At night, the oncoming lanes look like white stars (headlights) and the lanes in front of me look like red stars from the taillights.
I don't drive much at night !!! And the gun is not loaded !!!

Sound like Darwin !!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts