M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mississippi Yawning: One Year Later, Dire Open Carry Predictions Prove False

It’s long been a predictable pattern. A state or locality relaxes its restrictions on carrying firearms and doesn’t devolve into the anarchy gun opponents predicted. The latest example comes from Mississippi, where last year a change in the law, and a Mississippi Supreme Court ruling, ensured that law-abiding residents could exercise their right to carry openly without a permit. According to a report in Mississippi’s Clarion-Ledger, after a year of lawful open carry, not much has changed.

Anti-gun advocates argued “Allowing the open carrying of deadly weapons could cause the escalation of disagreements between citizens and could lead to increased incidents of violence with deadly weapons in the State of Mississippi.” The document also speculated, “When firearms are openly carried by untrained individuals, it is less likely that these individuals will properly retain control of their weapons. Therefore, others are able to easily disarm carriers in order to use the weapon against innocent bystanders.”

Clarion-Ledger writer Geoff Pender notes just how wrong these predictions were. Pender’s piece cites the legislation’s author, Rep. Andy, Braxton as stating, “A year later, we don’t have the wild, wild West.” Director of the Mississippi Association of Chiefs of Police Ken Winter, who Pender explains had reservations about the bill, is also quoted on the topic. Winters stated, “It’s kind of been a non-issue.”

Mississippi joins a continually growing list of jurisdictions that have chosen to better respect the right to carry, and failed to suffer the negative consequences predicted by gun controllers. Each time anti-gun advocates are proven wrong, the efficacy of NRA’s position becomes clearer. Legislators and other public officials should place their trust in their constituents’ ability to exercise their rights responsibly, rather gun control advocates’ unfounded fear-mongering.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/29/m...-carry-predictions-prove-false/#ixzz3Bt79hOha

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
No blood in the streets?

No dead children or cops?

No guns hanging off every street thug now?

In other words, it's just like every state that has never barred free men from openly carrying firearms without licenses.

USN2

·
Registered
560 Posts
Reporting from the front line in Mississippi

All quiet on the home front.
We've been packing forever.
It was nice to have what was originally written in our state Constitution validated and thrown in the faces of the anti gunners by the judge. This is not a new law, just a shining example of a judge ruling from the constitution and not the bench.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The only that changed in MS (And in AL too.) was that practically every other Business seems to have "No Open Carry Allowed" and/or "No Firearms or Weapons" signs on their entrances.
These were printed en masse by various anti 2A groups & LE Depts, and given to everyone who'd post them. Many were also posted on entrances without knowledge of owners or by managers without corporate authority.

·
Banned
2,951 Posts
Boycott those businesses and contact their HQ's, giving them your opinion and stance on the issue.
Many of our businesses have 'Firearms Friendly' notices on their entrances. I am always sure to give them a sincere 'Thank You'!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
We should have snatched up a bunch of those signs simply just to "deny the enemy".

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Boycott those businesses and contact their HQ's, giving them your opinion and stance on the issue...
This. I've yet to find a business without a suitable competitor that welcomes me, and several local stores have been chewed out by the district or regional management for violating corporate policies allowing legally-carried firearms.

Be polite, respectful, and carry on.

I also fortunately live in a state that doesn't require me to stop at every door and read five minutes worth of signs or look on every wall for them or risk being in violation of mere possession laws.

Reactions: russ0861

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Maybe CA lawmakers should see this evidence. Not that they would be motivated to do the right thing by being shown the facts.
m14brian
You know they can never admit they are wrong or Deliberately ignoring or making up the facts.

It is for the Children, why don't you just comply???? /sarcasm

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I think I have only seen maybe 2 people open carrying since passage of the law, and when I do, I never think twice about it. This lack of open carry is most likely due to our "shall issue" CCW law and low crime rate in the majority of the state. It is indeed a "non-issue", as most criminals are not going to open carry.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The only that changed in MS (And in AL too.) was that practically every other Business seems to have "No Open Carry Allowed" and/or "No Firearms or Weapons" signs on their entrances.
These were printed en masse by various anti 2A groups & LE Depts, and given to everyone who'd post them. Many were also posted on entrances without knowledge of owners or by managers without corporate authority.
Boycot them all, and let them know why.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts

If i see a sign that just says no guns.

That doesnt mean you cant bring a gun in. It just means they dont need to see it.

Post a sign quoting statute law that i cant carry there and ill pay attention.

This is the texas way.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
If i see a sign that just says no guns.

That doesnt mean you cant bring a gun in. It just means they dont need to see it.

Post a sign quoting statute law that i cant carry there and ill pay attention.

This is the texas way.
Texas already has banned openly carried sidearms for the last 150 years.

And they have laws making carrying concealed firearms an actual violation of law in some businesses.

This is the Texas way? It's one of the worst parts of visiting Texas, which I do regularly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts