M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USA TODAY picked this up off the AP wire...these citizens don't mess around.

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ssf/2014/07/waitresses_carry_loaded_guns_a.html

OregonLive.com
SearchSearchAccountSign In

Waitresses carry loaded guns at Shooter Grill in Rifle, Colorado (photos)

1 / 4
The Associated Press By The Associated Press
Follow on Twitter
on July 03, 2014 at 2:40 PM, updated July 03, 2014 at 2:48 PM
View/Post Comments
RIFLE, Colo. (AP) — In a state where commercial establishments can bar concealed carry permit holders from bringing in their guns, one western Colorado restaurant not only embraces the practice of packing heat, it encourages its customers to openly carry — and its waitresses do, too.

As she takes your order at Shooter Grill in the town of Rifle — yes, Rifle — waitress Ashlee Saenz carries a pad, pen and a loaded Ruger .357 Blackhawk handgun holstered on her leg, Old West style.

It's loaded, and she knows how to use it.

Colorado is not among those states where openly carrying guns anywhere in public is legal. The issue has made headlines after gun rights activists carrying loaded rifles gathered in Target stores in Texas, Alabama and North Carolina to demonstrate their support of "open carry" laws. On Wednesday, Target asked its customers "respectfully" to not bring firearms into stores, even where allowed by law.

But in Rifle, Saenz, her co-workers and her customers at Shooters Grill are encouraged to bring their holstered guns in the restaurant, The Glenwood Springs Post-Independent reports.

A sign on the front door reads, "Guns are welcome on premises. Please keep all weapons holstered, unless the need arises. In such cases, judicious marksmanship is appreciated."

State statutes allow local governments and businesses to prohibit open carry inside buildings if a sign is posted.

Shooters also hosts concealed carry training that qualifies customers for Colorado and Utah permits. The $75 price tag includes dinner.

Shooters owner Lauren Boebert said she is simply allowing customers and employees to exercise their constitutional right to bear arms.

"We encourage it, and the customers love that they can come here and express their rights," Boebert said.

She chose the restaurant name last year as a nod to its gun policy.

"I consulted with my Christian friends and everyone said 'Shooters' sounded like a bar or a strip joint," Lauren Boebert said with a laugh. "But I thought, this is Rifle — it was founded around guns and the Old West. We called it Shooters and started throwing guns and Jesus all over the place."

The restaurant offers American and Mexican fare and does not serve alcohol.

Customers on a recent morning had no problem with the gun presence.

Wayne and Martha Greenwald, visiting from Grand Marais, Michigan, welcomed the restaurant's policy.

"We think it's just fine — we're very positive about it," Wayne Greenwald said. "We carry guns ourselves and own a rifle, shotgun and handguns. We live in a very small town and we take care of our own crime problems."

Colorado gun-control supporters told the newspaper they favor concealed carry over open carry because of the permitting requirements. Other Colorado laws, including universal background checks for gun sales, a 15-round limit on firearm magazines and banning online-only concealed-carry certification training, continue to be a focal point of intense debate here.

"We stand behind the Second Amendment, but we don't encourage people to carry guns as a public display in places like stores or restaurants," said Jennifer Hope of Golden, the Colorado chapter leader for the national Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. The group was founded in 2012 after the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting in Connecticut.

View/Post Comments
Related Stories
Fourth of July citizen involvement poll Recreational marijuana in Washington: Questions and answers for Oregonians
Active Discussions

1Canzano: Lakeridge High football issues heat up over ice cream turf war
(212 comments)
2Letters: Immigration, SCOTUS, Nader, Iraq
(84 comments)
3Oregon 217 flyover ramp crashes: Contractor received rare $560,000 bonus for finishing highway project early
(51 comments)
4Oregon GMO labeling supporters submit signatures as opponents call initiative 'costly,' 'misleading'
(413 comments)
5Mike Riley enters 2014 season as eighth longest-tenured head coach in FBS: Oregon State rundown
(61 comments)
See more comments »
Most Read

Top Portland tech CEO faces sexual assault investigation

Portland's best new food carts 2014

Oregon teen Jenny Gamez, other woman killed after bondage sessions, detective says
Gregg Allman checked himself into the hospital before Waterfront Blues Festival cancellation

Canzano: Chris Kaman to Trail Blazers... Blazers still need a surprise
Photo of the Day

Portland's best new food carts 2014

More photos & videos

Advance Digital logo
Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

© 2014 Oregon Live LLC. All rights reserved (About Us).
The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Oregon Live LLC.

Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. Contact interactivity management.

Ad Choices

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a very common Google search is "the shooter in colorado."

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
OK is an Open Carry state, but the whole purpose was to prevent some TIU (thug in uniform) from seeing a bulge and arresting you for 'illegal carry'. It was never intended to allow anyone to carry 'openly' into a place of business. I think we are slowly turning the 'anti-gun' tide, but we hurt ourselves when we get 'in the face' of other people. I have said before that I have no problem with gays, minorities, 'alternate life styles' etc. But I do not want them in my face. You want to wear a Nazi uniform? Fine in Hollywood, but never in Skokie, Illinois. You want a KKK rally? Maybe all right in some places, but will get your [email protected]@ kicked in some places. Want to glorify the NVA? Not around me you won't. Rant off.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Scooter trip

The wife and I are taking the Harley to CO for 3 days. Don't have the time to make it to Rifle, but that looks like a fun place.

Open carry would be appropriate at a place like this, but generally not in public places that the practice is generally not accepted.

Maybe I save the visit to Rifle when the wife is not along??????????

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
The Shooters Grill in Rifle looks like a place I'd like to eat at, something about a nice looking group of girls packing , gives me an appetite.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Did you notice that one of the waitresses name was "Dusty Sheets" now that is a classic western name for a young lady. If I am ever within driving distance I will make a point to stop in.

·
Registered
947 Posts
OK is an Open Carry state, but the whole purpose was to prevent some TIU (thug in uniform) from seeing a bulge and arresting you for 'illegal carry'. It was never intended to allow anyone to carry 'openly' into a place of business. I think we are slowly turning the 'anti-gun' tide, but we hurt ourselves when we get 'in the face' of other people. I have said before that I have no problem with gays, minorities, 'alternate life styles' etc. But I do not want them in my face. You want to wear a Nazi uniform? Fine in Hollywood, but never in Skokie, Illinois. You want a KKK rally? Maybe all right in some places, but will get your [email protected]@ kicked in some places. Want to glorify the NVA? Not around me you won't. Rant off.
You don't have a right not to be offended. Your viewpoint differs from the Left's grievance industry how?

·
Administrator
17,400 Posts
3 hours West of Denver on I-70, or about 183 miles...

Rifle City in Colorado

The City of Rifle is a Home Rule Municipality in Garfield County, Colorado, United States.

The population was 9,172 at the 2010 census. Wikipedia

Area: 4.3 sq miles (11.14 km²)

Weather: 73°F (23°C), Wind N at 5 mph (8 km/h), 35% Humidity

Population: 9,267 (2012)

Local time: Saturday Mountain time

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
So does that mean a cop has a gun "in your face" when he carries it in a standard side holster?

It should also be noted that unlike most states, OK still requires that you have a licen$e from the state before you can even open carry.

Open carry is less "What the hell is he up to?" than exposure of a concealed piece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts