M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is supposed to be the removal of the Op rod on a M1A NM?More difficult than standard M14? I am new to the M1A but was able to remove it without problem, a friend of mine has the same gun but cannot remove it,do you think are there any problem with his Op Rod?

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I don't believe so, it just needs shooting a couple hundred times. Look at how it locks in, the bottom has a longer tab and goes down in the slot in the receiver. When taking it out, he needs to keep this in mind and sort of roll the top out first with slight pressure, then up pressure.

Being careful and using a screwdriver to pry pressure is not out of the realm of possibility for some that are too tight. Try not to scratch the finish on the receiver or bend the op rod.

Once it comes out, you can lightly polish the sharp corners off on the "top" of the tab, to slightly rounded...The top only and very little...just a polish job, and for the very worst, maybe some sandpaper or emory cloth to the sharp corners.

I have seen some receivers that the assembly cut-out square, was well rounded on the top and required rounding the op rod tab with a fine tooth file, but this is last resort.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine is tight, too. It didn't shoot itself loose, either. I align the tab with the notch, lift up on the handle a bit, then pry the top of the hump outward with a hard plastic spatula.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts