M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded my Loaded Stainless for an un-fired SOCOM 16 the other day. Yesterday I had an opportunity to get to the range, so I put 100 rounds through it without any problems.

Rifle is fun to shoot, makes a BIG bang and flash! And seems like it's going to be accurate enough for me.

Check out 50 yard target. That's 20 rounds. Do I need to raise the sights for ZERO at 200, or should I leave it there? Farthest I plan to shoot is 200 yards. Maybe 300 if the right buck or coyote steps out at the right place..

Here are two pics straight out of the box.

The only issue I see with this rifle is the Op rod is slamming into the side of the scout type rail mount that is bolted to the barrel. Enough so that there was a considerable amount of metal shavings in the area. If I ride the Op rod forward you can clearly see the interference at the front of the Op rod.

Anyone seen anything like this on these rifles before?

Send it to SAI or get at it with a die grinder? Or let it clearance itself (not my preferred option).

Thanks for any input.

I understand now why these rifles seem to be so much fun. My trusty AR will likely start to collect dust as long as I can afford ammo for the 7.62

Regards,
JS
Middle TN

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Traded my Loaded Stainless for an un-fired SOCOM 16 the other day. Yesterday I had an opportunity to get to the range, so I put 100 rounds through it without any problems.

Rifle is fun to shoot, makes a BIG bang and flash! And seems like it's going to be accurate enough for me.

Check out 50 yard target. That's 20 rounds. Do I need to raise the sights for ZERO at 200, or should I leave it there? Farthest I plan to shoot is 200 yards. Maybe 300 if the right buck or coyote steps out at the right place..

Here are two pics straight out of the box.

The only issue I see with this rifle is the Op rod is slamming into the side of the scout type rail mount that is bolted to the barrel. Enough so that there was a considerable amount of metal shavings in the area. If I ride the Op rod forward you can clearly see the interference at the front of the Op rod.

Anyone seen anything like this on these rifles before?

Send it to SAI or get at it with a die grinder? Or let it clearance itself (not my preferred option).

Thanks for any input.

I understand now why these rifles seem to be so much fun. My trusty AR will likely start to collect dust as long as I can afford ammo for the 7.62

Regards,
JS
Middle TN
never seen that before...doesn't mean it can't happen...anyway, looks like it doesn't seem to affect accuracy, but I am sure it does. The forward mount is aluminum so a hand file should take care of it. The op rod is steel so there probably only the park removed. If you don't intend to use the forward mount for a optical, I would remove it and get another forearm. Do a search on anything socom and there's a ton of info out there...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Wow, is that the op rod doing that? My op rod is rubbing the shoulder of the barrel ( just before it goes into the receiver) on my '16.....

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Look down through your sights and see if the rail edge appears closer to the front sight blade on one side than the other. You could have a rail slightly canted, a barrel improperly indexted or both. I think I would let SA sort it out either way. They're usually pretty good on warranty work, no need to try it yourself then maybe need to sent it back anyway.......and run the risk of being told the rifle has been modifed and it'll cost you for what should otherwis been warranty work.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pictures with it disassembled.

The Op rod has very little noticeable witness marking.

Does the Scout rail locate on the barrel in a key or spline of some sort, or is it just clamped on there? Seems it should be located for accuracy and consistency, but I'm a newb with the M14.

Anyway, here are some more pictures.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Try marking it with wax crayon or magic marker .....operate the op rod to see if it is doing it. At the same time you operate the op rod, grasp the forearm with your support hand as if you were shooting it and have your fingers pressed on the op rod ... while you're not supposed to do this under normal circumstances, you may have done a couple of times which is all that it takes.... fyi...just looked at one of my socoms that still has the forward rail on it.....got the same interference markings as yours and if you're concerned about it, do what I suggested earlier and touch it up with a file and mark it again ...repeat until it stops appearing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks 'for the feedback and thoughts.

Since I do intend to use the mount, I believe I'll go ahead and remove the offending material with a die grinder and carbide burr, touch it up with a file and paint, and call it a day.

I can't see a sending it to Illinois to basically do the same thing I'll be doing. Worst case, they wouldn't warranty the mount

Regards,

JS

RNGR1

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Thanks 'for the feedback and thoughts.

Since I do intend to use the mount, I believe I'll go ahead and remove the offending material with a die grinder and carbide burr, touch it up with a file and paint, and call it a day.

I can't see a sending it to Illinois to basically do the same thing I'll be doing. Worst case, they wouldn't warranty the mount

Regards,

JS

RNGR1
becareful...the rail is aluminum..all it needs is a nail file.....carbide is overkill..might take off too much....

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
That Clamp will only go on one way , if you swap it around the Middle Screws will not line up . Mine has some wear at the same place as yours , just not as bad . One other thing , if you notice the two screws in the middle of the Rail , you can adj. for level , before the rail is tightened , probably because of the Barrels taper .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.