M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sage ALCS stock With heavy barrel op rod guide with a Krieger heavy barrel. The guide is loose on the barrel, not sloppy loose, but I can spin it around the barrel with one finger. The barrel is not knurled and I'm wondering if it should be. The rifle was accurate during break in and sighting, I only shot m-80 ball for this, wasn't sub MOA but not bad for ball ammo. Seeking opinions from people with more knowledge than me.

·
Registered
11,709 Posts
Aren't the guide and barrel drilled for a roll pin, or is that not done for heavyweight barrels.?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Aren't the guide and barrel drilled for a roll pin, or is that not done for heavyweight barrels.?
Not done on the Krieger I bought in September. Just 2 divots for starts and you get it lined up and drill. I made a jig out of wood to clamp in a drill press as I’m not a machinist and I can ruin stuff quick.

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
The heavy Kreigers that I have installed came with a big op rod guide like the one shown above. Intended to be drilled and two pins driven through the contact area of the barrel. Those can't go anywhere.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Sage is drilled for 1 pin, but my drill press is crappy and I'll bet tgilkey I can ruin stuff faster than he can. Ted Brown said in another thread than you should allow for expansion for when the barrel gets warm. But I know you also want it to be solid for accuracy. What about Locktite?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
tgilkey,
Next time you have to pin one use green Loctite(#609 cylindrical locking), once it's set drill the guide for the roll pins, that guide won't ever move.

John

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
As said, I usually don't install a pin in the op rod guide when using SAGE stocks, however, that applies to standard and medium weight barrels as the op rod guides are normally a close fit. If the op rod guide is loose it should be pinned. Krieger heavy barrels are not notched for the pin and must be drilled. Take care to insure alignment, both for index and position so the op rod guide screws line up with the holes in the stock. I'd suggest a little Locktite once the position is set up so the guide stays in place while drilling the barrel notch through the existing hole in the guide.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,838 Posts
I would use some bearing retainer gel on the guide first to keep it in place, let it sit for awhile to set and then drill it.

eQ

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn’t have a heavy barrel, but my op rod guide for the Sage stock was very tight on my M1a loaded barrel. You probably need to knife your barrel for a tighter fit.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I've never heard a negative of knurling. You may not have to, but if you want to keep it in place, between that and loctite or TonyBen's favorite JB weld (which I've used once over red LocTite, and it seemed good), it would seem that if you want to keep it in place, that'd be one more step to doing that.

Plus, once you've got a knurling tool, you'll just keep looking for excuses to use it. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts