M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, I'm looking at making an offer on a 1981 Springfield from a private seller. He graciously allowed me to take it home to give it a good looking over first.

I noticed that the op rod (TRW) and gas cylinder are a bit out of allignment (off axis) where they meet. The wear on the face of the op rod is off center. There doesn't seem to be any appreciable undue wear on the op rod tube, but this rifle hasn't been fired much. Also, the op rod and piston both pass the tilt tests just fine.

On closer inspection, I discovered that on the op rod guide, the hole that the rod rides in is not centered -- it's closer to one side of the guide than the other, putting the rod out of allignment. I'm wondering if this could be considered a warranty issue, and if it would be worth a call to Springfield if I decide to make the purchase. I do feel that the condition would certainly affect my cash offer, even if it is something Springfield would repair.

Could I get some opinions on this?

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
It doesn't need to be replaced, just aligned. Some misalignment is okay but I prefer it to be aligned. In some cases, it's insignificant and doesn't ruin accuracy. In other cases, it does. I actually just took a small gunsmith's hammer to mine and gave it a couple of good whacks until it lined up. Just because it's pinned, doesn't mean it's aligned. There is a small amount of room to rotate it. Some are loose and some are really tight.

If it's glued, it should have been glued in an aligned position. Some people remove the pin and glue it into position without the pin either by using epoxy in the hole or around the guide. None of mine are glued but they are aligned.

Here's a thread where I included a picture of an aligned and misaligned op-rod. The misaligned one is what I consider to be on the edge of acceptable limits. Any farther and I would definitely have it adjusted.
http://m14forum.com/m14/104414-my-first-look-762mm-rifle.html

Here's a thread that has way too much misalignment:
http://m14forum.com/accuracy/83424-gas-cylinder-operating-rod-allignmrnt.html

Check out this thread to see Gus' commentary on op-rod alignment. Look at post number 1, myth number 2.
http://m14forum.com/gus-fisher/104649-some-myths-facts-fs-barrel-alignment.html

Tony.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I read somewhere here that some folks (cant remember who) epoxy the op-rod guide to the barrel and tighten it down, just to help assure it doesnt move. Maybe someone else will chime in to this effect.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
One thing for sure is that if you send a 1981 rifle with USGI parts to Springfield for warranty work it will come back with alot less USGI parts and be worth alot less than when you sent it to them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm glad to see that it's not an insurmountable problem, and that a home fix wouldn't be difficult at all. If I do purchase the rifle, I'll probably tackle it myself rather than ship the rifle off to Springfield.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
One thing for sure is that if you send a 1981 rifle with USGI parts to Springfield for warranty work it will come back with alot less USGI parts and be worth alot less than when you sent it to them.
Ha ha, The one thing you can count on in this life besides death & taxes.

If the op rod tip is more-than-fully picking up the entire piston tail and the op rod guide is tight on the barrel, it ain't broke, purely cosmetic, not worth disturbing.

If the op rod guide is really misaligned you can knurl the barrel boss and re-install the guide and pin to good alignment. Or you can achieve the same thing with JB Weld.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I ended up purchasing the rifle (pics posted in the pictures section). The misalignment was bad enough to put the edge of the piston tail all the way to the edge of the op rod face. I guess it would have been ok, but I decided to "give it a whack", so to speak. I drifted out the roll pin and was able to put everything where it needed to be with a couple good whacks to the op rod guide with a mallet, then tapped the pin back in.

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
Well, I ended up purchasing the rifle (pics posted in the pictures section). The misalignment was bad enough to put the edge of the piston tail all the way to the edge of the op rod face. I guess it would have been ok, but I decided to "give it a whack", so to speak. I drifted out the roll pin and was able to put everything where it needed to be with a couple good whacks to the op rod guide with a mallet, then tapped the pin back in.
Good deal! I'm sure the rifle will make you happy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
SAI Warranty Question

I bought A Loaded M1A in 2003 NIB. I keep hearing about the life time warranty in this forum. I was on the SAI web site just looking around and was checking out there warranty site all I found was a limited warranty page . I have not had a single problem with it just wondering if they they havechanged it. THANKS

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think limited in that once you start messing with it, it wont be covered. I think hand loading can void it. I also think once you start putting after market parts that can be proven caused some sort of failure can void the warranty as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.