M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

A couple of weeks ago after a trip to the range, I came home and cleaned my rifle. As I was cleaning it I noticed that the tip of the firing pin looked chipped. No big deal, I have a couple of spares.... I had heard a few times you could use a .30-06 brass as a method to disassemble the bolt. So I proceed to replace the firing pin and all is well. Afterwards, I am just examining everything with the .30-06 brass in the chamber and the bolt locked back, the all of the sudden the bolt goes flying forward driving the brass into the chamber. When I removed the brass, it looked like it pushed part of it into the throat of the chamber.... see pictures. I tried using a mirror and light to look, but am unable to tell anything. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Have I damaged my barrel?

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If the stories that I have heard about people shooting -06 out of their .308 by accident are true, they said nothing happened to their barrel. So if they can shoot one through it you should be fine.

I have NO IDEA if this is true, but I have heard people talking about it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have serious doubts that you could shoot a .30-06 in a .308 but I am willing to bet if you try hard enough you could probably do the reverse scenario.

I have personally seen a .40 S&W shot out of a .45 ACP! Not sure how my Uncle pulled that one off, but he did.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
7.62mm fired in 30-06 chamberd rifle

It is very possible, we use to do that on a regular basis with M1's, just of leave the Brass for someone to find and try to figure out what type of rifle was used.

This is not a recommended thing to do, 18 years Old's don't care, or at least we didn't..

Never noticed anything bad happened to the the rifles, there probably is less port pressure and maybe this could bend the opt rod in Garands over time.

Don't worry about having damaged your chamber or throat, very very unlikely. Art

·
Registered
362 Posts
Damage, nah, probably not!

Brandoncooper,
The steel of your chamber is strong enough to resist about 50,000 PSI when fired so the brass will be reformed before any damage to the chamber occurs.

At a CMP match we had a guy fire a 10 round string of 7.62 ammo in his '03 Springfield rifle (30-06) with no damage done. Interestingly, he fired a pretty good group @ 200 yards albeit about 18 inches low. It straightened out the brass kinda like a 45-70.

You are good to go.

"T"

·
Registered
516 Posts
You know what Brandon, I thought about it today and dug out the last .30-06 case that I used for a tool for bolt dissassembly. It looks just like yours. So no worries, you will be good to go. I have had no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.