M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
In 1969, I was in Northern I-Corps and I traded a guy a beat up AK for 2 M-2 carbines with pistols grips. They had original length barrels and the stocks had been "hacked off". Also got a .50 cal can full of rounds and some mags.

Both rifles were in bad shape and didn't shoot very well so I got rid of them pretty quick - traded them for a .38 spl revolver, holster and a .50 can half full of ammo.

Where I was, these rifles weren't all that rare - don't know about other places. Most of them could have been marked "POS" - but they would "rock and roll" (when they would fire at all). "Marvin the Arvin" didn't take real good care of their equipment.

FWIW

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
I, too, saw some modified M1 and M2 carbines during my vacation in Southeast Asia in the 1960s. Mostly M1 carbines that had a "pistol grip" configuration, but a couple had shortened barrels, as well. They were all 100% USGI. An Army SF "A Team" had two Sgts. that swore by them as "pistols", but they were used more as close defense weapons with 15 round mags than true pistols. :D

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Assuming the story is true, it still is a big legal risk. To evade having a federal charge you would need to produce the documentation excluding it from the NFA alteration. I know of no documentation pre 1968 that could be found to defend one's self in a possession charge.

Hope he has the importer's name, address, and phone number and hope Customs and ATF can find the paperwork. :D It will take the seller has more than this story if ATF knocks on his door.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought one similar to this one, except it had a full length barrel and the metal had been painted black, also missing a handguard. It is an early QHMC and had mostly original parts except for the bolt, rear sight and a bayonet lug. The trigger group had all QHMC parts including a type-2 dogleg hammer. It came from a west coast law enforcement agency, couldn't find out which one. I tried to get more information on it, but, no luck.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
;) A lot of our Assault Helicopter Pilots had those down in the Delta, I havent seen one of those since 1969, not even at Gunshows, I told TEA about those a few Months ago and I bet he thought I was BSing Him. 8) Thanks for the Thread Steve K. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.