M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may get a little theoretical, just a warning...

Ok, my little bro and I were having something of a debate this weekend about having only one rifle and ammo in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI. We are in the deep south without bears or anything bigger than small whitetails. The ammo situation would be the same dollar value of ammo. So, maybe 500 rounds of .308 and 5000 rds of .22.

I was pretty much on the fence, but was thinking a .22 would be really versatile. You can take small game and even up to a deer if your hunting and shooting skills are up to it.

Also, .22 ammo would be a great barter item considering everyone who has any guns probably has a .22. Admittedly, these days people seem to be getting pistols more and the "everyone has a .22" thing is probably a little less true than it was 40 years ago.

The other side is a .308 or something similar since you could more easily haul in big game and it is a better SD round. Also, each round would be more valuable than each round of .22, but for the same amount of investment you would end up with considerably more .22 than .308 or equivalent.

So, what are your thoughts? If you could only have one rifle and ammo what would it be? I am leaving shotguns and pistols out of it...

·
Registered
966 Posts
A .308 bolt gun, almost nothing to go wrong, and I can hunt anything in North America. Plus, unlike a .22, I can defend by shooting through the trees.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Maybe a bit TOO theoretical...

GI6

Two Problems...DEFINING exactly what the 'SHTF' Scenario is really pushes one way or the other.
Not Defining it...makes it impossible to pin down what the 'Need' is, what the 'Mission' is...

And...Having ONLY a .308 (M14) to use would clearly create problems in hunting small game...birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc...

While Obviously We Are All Going To Agree That the .308 M14 is One of, if not THE World's Best Combat Rifles...

GITEN

The Downside(s) are:
---Not a good small game gun
---As stated, 'only' 500 rounds vs. 5,000 rounds
---Very Loud, compared to a .22, very likely to give away one's postion...

So...I Personally Would Want to Know the Specific Scenario before I had to Choose...

I Still Believe That a .22 Rifle is a Very Valuable and Often Under-rated part of a 'SHTF' Scenario...
I continue to advocate something like a Marlin Papoose...
Breaks down, has 10-Rd Mags, Comes in Stainless Steel, the Case Floats, Easy to use Iron Sights or to add a scope, Easy to Pack Along 500 rds (One BRICK!)to 5,000 rds of ammo, the Case Floats...
AND...One Can Have the Barrel Threaded...and utilize(legally of course)a .22 Suppressor...making the .22 Rifle a highly effective, and ultra-quiet Hunting Platform...

Final Point, I Guess...
When I saw the TITLE of Your Post..."One Rifle and Ammo"...
I expected you to be talking about the value of several folks using the Same Rifle and the Same Ammo!
There Really is value in the ability to share the Same Rifle, Same Ammo, Same Parts and Accessories...
It minimizes the Spare Parts Needed, Less Cross-Training, etc...
So, in that sense, better to have Two Guys both with .308 M14's rather than one with an M14 and one with a .5.56mm M16-clone, or...one guy with a .22 and one with a .17, for example...

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I don't believe a person can be adequately prepared for most SHTF scenarios with less than 4 different weapons. I believe a person needs at least one centerfire rifle in a caliber suitable to stop men and big game in their area, a .22 rifle for small game and pest, a shotgun for defense and hunting, and a pistol for concealable defense when carrying a rifle around will get you thrown in jail or worse.

.22 rifles and ammo are just too cheap to not have stored when considering their usefulness so I don't think there is a valid reason to not have one along with a rifle in a man stopping caliber.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
There is no "one size does it all" when it comes to firearms or good knives.

I completely agree with tmcfalls in his reply. But something not brought up is small game is actually easier to trap & snare then hunt if you develope the skills.

Something else not brought up is things that go bump at night. Nothing better then a 12 gauge with a flashlight mounted under the barrel IMO.

HH

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
A .308 bolt gun, almost nothing to go wrong, and I can hunt anything in North America. Plus, unlike a .22, I can defend by shooting through the trees.
I can defend by shooting them with a 22 when they peek around the tree.... Suppressed, they'll never see/hear it coming...

Suppressed 10/22 with a 4 x scope, or my trusty 512....If I need a bigger gun, I'll silently aquire one...GI2

It's not about the weapon, it's all about situational awareness and tactics. If "they're" behind cover or trees, egress and achieve a superior position, or evade and seek alternate cover. The best confrontation is the one you avoid.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I can defend by shooting them with a 22 when they peek around the tree.... Suppressed, they'll never see/hear it coming...

Suppressed 10/22 with a 4 x scope, or my trusty 512....If I need a bigger gun, I'll silently aquire one...GI2

It's not about the weapon, it's all about situational awareness and tactics. If "they're" behind cover or trees, egress and achieve a superior position, or evade and seek alternate cover. The best confrontation is the one you avoid.
Good points. With the exception of refereed sports, most if not all street fights I've seen were won by the person who first realized the seriousness of the situation and responded immediately, not necessarily the most skilled martial artist. If you don't recognize that you're in a fight, but the other guy does, he'll have your gear and maybe your ear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Think of your gun collection like a tool bag...

Would you want to hammer a nail into a board with your favorite wrench?

Would you want to try to drive a fillips screw with a flat head screwdriver?

Would you want to beat a charging crackhead to death with your only tape measure instead of selecting a hammer?

My dad always used to say that there is the right tool for every job so I make sure to own a BIG tool bag.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Think of the 22 as a "combo tool"GI2

Smoke a bunch of crack, charge me, and let me shoot you (no one in particular, this is an example and not directed at an actual person or individual) in the face 2-3 times with some stingers.

Hide in the bushes 100 yards away, give up your position and let me shoot you(no one in particular, this is an example and not directed at an actual person or individual) in the eye with a subsonic HP

Chase me on foot, pause and catch your breath from the load you are carrying (no one in particular, this is an example and not directed at an actual person or individual) , and remember that I have a rifle that I know how to use, and am most likely carring 1000 rounds of ammo without undue stress or burden.

Happen by within a hundred yards of me in the woods while I am gathering dinner, and you will never hear me.....

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I don't believe a person can be adequately prepared for most SHTF scenarios with less than 4 different weapons. I believe a person needs at least one centerfire rifle in a caliber suitable to stop men and big game in their area, a .22 rifle for small game and pest, a shotgun for defense and hunting, and a pistol for concealable defense when carrying a rifle around will get you thrown in jail or worse.

.22 rifles and ammo are just too cheap to not have stored when considering their usefulness so I don't think there is a valid reason to not have one along with a rifle in a man stopping caliber.
Well said neighbor!

·
Registered
362 Posts
If the SHTF scenario involves having to defend against tyranny, a battle rifle would probably be the best choice... that or a bolt gun, depending on the nature of the threat and the strategy you take.

For a situation where you're on the lam, living off the land, a .22 would be where it's at.

I guess it depends on whether you think it's more likely to have to shoot 2 legged varmints, or 4 legged ones.

That's why I have both types of rifle, and plenty of ammo for them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts