M14 Forum banner

One-off Navy Seal M1A

1988 26
Not sure if it’s been posted before but this is a screenshot of an M1A from the Tactical Hyve's video entitled ‘Rifle round up with Navy Seal Mark “Coch” Cochiolo’. Can’t explain why but I really dig this one-off rifle.

Trigger Hat Air gun Outdoor recreation Shotgun

Seems to be a commercial M1a scout rifle with a McMillan USMC DMR M2A stock that has been shorted and cheek rest ditched. A piece of picatinny rail on the bottom of the fore-end. A Leapers UTG looking tri-rail handguard. Also, what looks like a XM177E2 moderator, but I could be wrong. With the classic early 2000’s rattle can paint job. So cool.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Not a fan of anything shortened.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a pair of Those UTG forends on mine. A bear to install but the scope mount is much more secure and repeatable than any side scope mount.
Why UTG stopped making them I can't understand.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The muzzle device is a very unique 80's SAI factory stabilizer/ FS that came on their bush and E2 rifles back then. Not easy to find and I'm lucky enough to have picked one up from a forum member here when I had the chance.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
If it has to be shorter, I will just get me a pistol. 😁

Reactions: M14SAGuy and TXPI

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Hmmm. Wonder what a “Navy Seal M1A” will do that my standard Vietnam configuration M14 won’t…..😜
Well of the three M1As that I own, the short SOCOM is the lightest, easiest to handle, and fastest to get on target compared to my full length M1As. It's a good minute of man (deer, elk, bear, etc.) shooter out to 200 yards. Beyond 200 yards I'd rather use my standard version M1A or my Springfield Victor in .308.

Plant Fawn Terrestrial animal Grassland Tree

Same SOCOM but before I switched out a few parts. 110 yards, one shot.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Based on the old WWII M1 Garand lock-bar sights, it’s an old SAI M1A modified quite a bit.

The actual M14s designed by Navy SEALs working with Crane weapon engineers were the SAGE-based and short-barreled M14s: primarily the Mk 14 Mod 0, followed by the Mk 14 Mod 1. Unlike the McMillan stock, no glass bedding was needed, etc. Mod 0s:
Bottle Gas Machine Metal Office equipment

Mod 1 is below:

Camouflage Ballistic vest Helmet Military camouflage Squad

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
If one is considering using an M14 type rifle in a CQB environment (to include home defense), a short barrel is very useful. As RAMMAC stated, short barreled M1A’s (Scout’s or SOCOM 16’s) are much better than standard rifles for getting on target quickly. I firmly believe that practicing ready up drills are very beneficial and if you try these drills with a short barreled M1A vs a standard M1A, the difference is readily perceivable.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
I had a Brownell's AR15 XM177 style moderator/flash suppressor modified for a 9MM AR build a couple years ago. The gunsmith (Rick at TTI up in Ashland, VA) had no issues modifying the .223 caliber flash suppressor for 9MM and then pinning/welding it on the 9MM barrel.

I'd think if a .223 flash suppressor could be opened up to 9MM opening one up for .30 caliber would be just as easy. If that's the look you want.

Reactions: PNWMonty

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not sure if it’s been posted before but this is a screenshot of an M1A from the Tactical Hyve's video entitled ‘Rifle round up with Navy Seal Mark “Coch” Cochiolo’. Can’t explain why but I really dig this one-off rifle.

View attachment 497834

Seems to be a commercial M1a scout rifle with a McMillan USMC DMR M2A stock that has been shorted and cheek rest ditched. A piece of picatinny rail on the bottom of the fore-end. A Leapers UTG looking tri-rail handguard. Also, what looks like a XM177E2 moderator, but I could be wrong. With the classic early 2000’s rattle can paint job. So cool.
'Soldier of Fortune" Magazine had an article on an "improved" M-14 which had a modified E2 stock and different front end, published back in the '80's.

I like the one in the picture, except I'm still not a fan of altering the gas system via shortening the barrel.

Jarhead

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
CQB = pistol. 😁😁

·
Registered
376 Posts
If one is considering using an M14 type rifle in a CQB environment (to include home defense), a short barrel is very useful. As RAMMAC stated, short barreled M1A’s (Scout’s or SOCOM 16’s) are much better than standard rifles for getting on target quickly. I firmly believe that practicing ready up drills are very beneficial and if you try these drills with a short barreled M1A vs a standard M1A, the difference is readily perceivable.
Why would one consider using an M14 rifle (or carbine variant) for home defense? I mean I guess that would really, really cause you to weigh the necessity of actually shooting at someone, considering that you would be deafened when (if) you do. Post event, you could practice ready "what, huh?" drills...

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Why would one consider using an M14 rifle (or carbine variant) for home defense? I mean I guess that would really, really cause you to weigh the necessity of actually shooting at someone, considering that you would be deafened when (if) you do. Post event, you could practice ready "what, huh?" drills...
In urban or suburban areas, an M4 carbine is often the best choice but in rural areas or during civil disturbances, an M1A actually might be desirable. I also recognize that many folks don’t have much choice when it comes to firearms to employ when things go sour. For those folks they must use what they have on hand and that might be an M1A. I have often said that if I only had one long gun, it would be an M1A.

For those who prefer handguns for home protection, I understand the advantages of a compact, light firearm. However, handguns have poor terminal ballistic performance and when multiple bad guys are close in, I suggest employing a short barreled rifle. There are no do overs when it comes to real world defensive shooting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts