M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The USS Thresher nuclear-powered submarine failed to surface 220 miles east of Boston, Mass., in a disaster that claimed 129 lives.

The USS Thresher (SSN-593) was the lead boat of her class of nuclear-powered attack submarines in the United States Navy.

Her loss at sea in the North Atlantic during deep-diving tests approximately 220 miles east of Boston, Massachusetts was a watershed event for the U.S. Navy, leading to the implementation of a rigorous submarine safety program known as SUBSAFE.

As the first nuclear submarine lost at sea, its disappearance generated international shock and sympathy.

Water Submarine Black-and-white Line Ballistic missile submarine

· Registered
189 Posts
I seem to recall that Robert Ballard, who later found the Titanic wreckage, was given some of his funding with the stipulation that he first find the Thresher and some other military wreckage.

My old man, in grad school at the time, worked with him as an oceanographer.

· Registered
224 Posts
I was in high school during this incident. I was on duty in the Navy when the USS Scorpion was reported overdue on May 27, 1968. I remember the Admiral walking in and announcing it.

· Registered
875 Posts
The USS Thresher nuclear-powered submarine failed to surface 220 miles east of Boston, Mass., in a disaster that claimed 129 lives.

The USS Thresher (SSN-593) was the lead boat of her class of nuclear-powered attack submarines in the United States Navy.

Her loss at sea in the North Atlantic during deep-diving tests approximately 220 miles east of Boston, Massachusetts was a watershed event for the U.S. Navy, leading to the implementation of a rigorous submarine safety program known as SUBSAFE.

As the first nuclear submarine lost at sea, its disappearance generated international shock and sympathy.

View attachment 477087
We have old silent 8mm film footage of the Thresher leaving the barn bow first in Portsmouth that my Dad took from a helicopter when he was in the Air Force. Whole crew at attention on deck. We also have the same of the Abraham Lincoln. He almost ran out of spring wind on that one as it was VERY long.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.