M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’re on a typical patrol covering a few square kilometers east of our camp. We never took the same route; always zigging and zagging just to see what’s new and to talk to the folks. We’d see each little ville about every third or fourth patrol (about once per week)

1. Heading out — Helmet, flak jacket, M14, two canteens and bloused boots (I hate panicked creatures crawling up my leg. Just glad I don’t have to carry that log like that other guy.
2. The kids like us, (especially the C rats)
3. Getting into the swing of things
4. Firewood and a chicken
5. Best friends (Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn)

·
Banned
4,216 Posts
Thanks for the pix. I lived on the Perfume River tidal area for about 3 months, and the ARVN soldiers would fish with grenades. Also, there were dredges working to open the channel, and when pumping sand, they would often create ponds that isolated fish. These ponds would draw people like crazy when they drained. Everyone would be grabbing small fish the size of minnows for their nuoc mam jars of fermenting fish sauce.

·
Banned
4,216 Posts
College in Hue City before Tet
The Citidal before Tet
Dozer stuck in dredging op
Phu Bai ammo dump after rocket attack
Our interpreter "Tony" at our small outpost with the Perfume River ramp on the far left--In the distance is Col Co Island, across the river.
Fishing for "minnows" with ramp in the background.

Getting that dozer out was a maximum effort. We got a block and tackle the size of a small dozer off one of the ships out in the ocean, anchored the block with a huge sheepsfoot roller and a large crane chained together as deadmen, and pulled on the tag end with a D8.
I often wonder what happened to "Tony" and his ville. They were all Catholics.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
Very good set of pictures that tell a interesting story of time and place in Quang Nam Province, on a Marine patrol. Thanks for sharing your time in Country 4Quangs with us.

DI5

Reactions: 4Quangs
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.