M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M1 Sniper has a new in wrap OM-N trigger housing for sale over on Gunbroker. The wrapper is dated 1966, so after Winchester had stopped M14 rifle production. So I wonder if it's safe to say that a Winchester M14 from the factory during production would not have come with a OM-N marked hammer or trigger housing.

·
Premium Member
6,879 Posts
I think production Winchester M14s were built with the 66118 cage code. They would have had a 66118 hammer as well. I could be wrong, as I have been once before.

·
Registered
114 Posts
trigger housing

I believe OM-N was produced by an outside contractor, for winchester. who may have been under contract to the US govermint, after Winchester finished their production. was led to believe this on another win. part post production dated. 1000m

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think production Winchester M14s were built with the 66118 cage code. They would have had a 66118 hammer as well.
This is what I always believed too. The date on the OM-N trigger housing package just kinda confirms that OM-N marked parts would be replacement parts made after production of the M14 rifle stopped.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
I can add this, over the last few years I've had a total of 6 each of the H&Rs and Winnys. All of the Winnys were either 66 or 67 dated, and all of the H&Rs were 61 and 62 dated. NONE outer packages from either maker had their names on them. I've opened 3 of each and all the Winnys were OM-N marked.
Gotta wonder if that N is the same subcontractor that made the HR-N housings???

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Repacking date? You can't put anything by it other than some confidence the package contains a genuine USGI part. Bill Ricca has posted on the subject here and on his web site.

·
Premium Member
6,879 Posts
Just picked up a brand new Winchester"66118", trigger housing my self. Lifes good!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Repacking date? You can't put anything by it other than some confidence the package contains a genuine USGI part. Bill Ricca has posted on the subject here and on his web site.
Maybe-but repacks don't have a contract number do they?

Interesting the small parts in wrappers in his auctions have contract numbers, but the trigger housings don't.
So they were already repacking HR trigger housings in 1961/1962, as the date on a repack is the date it was repacked.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Maybe-but repacks don't have a contract number do they?

Interesting the small parts in wrappers in his auctions have contract numbers, but the trigger housings don't.
So they were already repacking HR trigger housings in 1961/1962, as the date on a repack is the date it was repacked.
I don't know.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I dug out some old pictures of NIW trigger housings from SA,HR and Winchester all dated in the early 1960's and none had a contract number--huh.

·
Registered
931 Posts
The Winchester Trigger housing in my M1A match is marked 7267030-OM-N. Like all other Winchester items OM stands for Olin Matheson.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
M1 Sniper has a new in wrap OM-N trigger housing for sale over on Gunbroker. The wrapper is dated 1966, so after Winchester had stopped M14 rifle production. So I wonder if it's safe to say that a Winchester M14 from the factory during production would not have come with a OM-N marked hammer or trigger housing.
Would someone mind sending me the GB auction number via PM? I would like to see the photographs of this item for research purposes.

OM-N was a subcontractor to Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Would someone mind sending me the GB auction number via PM? I would like to see the photographs of this item for research purposes.

OM-N was a subcontractor to Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation.
IM with auction link inbound, if you want any other pics,I'll be happy to supply.

·
Banned
657 Posts
resurrecting this thread, as I acquired a near new (if not new) condition OM-N complete trigger assembly in a box of parts I bought, and I'm wondering if it's worth more to someone else trying to build a 'correct' rifle, or if I should just throw it on the XM-21 barreled receiver I bought from Jeff this week. I have a standard Winchester trigger group as well, but was planning on using that on another build down the road.

do you guys think it's worthwhile putting the OM-N up for trade...are people looking for these that might need them? i don't ever plan to build a 'correct' rifle, so if useful to collectors, this and my MRT '64 sling are probably going to go up for trade for more useful/less nostalgic/less valuable parts for my XM-21 build that I plan to shoot to death!

if it's pretty standard and not something collectors would value for any reason, I'm fully prepared to just toss it in the rifle and use/abuse it...I just don't want to ruin something that someone could find useful for a 'show piece'.

·
Premium Member
6,879 Posts
Is the hammer marked OM and do you believe the Trigger group is in it's original finish?

I may be interested.

Ren

·
Banned
657 Posts
OM-N trigger housingq

Is the hammer marked OM and do you believe the Trigger group is in it's original finish?

I may be interested.

Ren
I believe it to be in it's original finish...and yes, the hammer is marked OM as well. Let me see if I can find a picture or two in my phone in a little bit.

So, assuming it is somewhat sought after as it fits a specific era of production, or what? Is it better/worse/comparable quality to the other Winchester trigger group or other USGI parts out there? I have a near new TRW op rod for the XM21 build and had just assumed try to keep the parts matching if that makes any sense.

I just remember a few years back when a guy on another forum had posted a thread about a CMP Garand he got...and the op rod was something I was looking for to complete a 'correct' build I was working on...and he wouldn't part with it. I offered to trade him my part, plus a fairly substantial sum of money, and he wouldn't take the offer...just wanted to shoot it 'as is' and not 'mess with it'.

It was his part...I get that. But if I have something that can help someone get their 'dream build' going or completed, that's what these forums are about, isn't it? Helping each other with the hobby, and supporting each other through ridiculous spending sprees on chunks of metal with specific letters and numbers stamped on them.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
All USGI parts built by the different manufacturers and contractors were built to the specific specs set forth by the government contracts. All USGI parts are interchangeable just as the M14 was designed.

Some people like to build as close to original as possible while others just want a reliable representation that they can use and abuse.

That's the beauty of our great passion of the M14. To each their own.

·
Banned
657 Posts
That makes sense...I just know that certain manufacturers went above and beyond the specs like TRW did machining each op-rod from one piece of steel. Is it better...what is 'better?'. I bought one and paid a premium for it, lol. My XM21 Bula build is probably going to get more use than any other build/rifle in my safe aside from maybe the Garand I use for CMP matches during the summer and I just didn't want to put a part on it that someone else would cringe that I'm actually using due to any unforseen historical significance or the likes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts