M14 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
brassmagnet mentioned respect. I, do not like people to say to me, Thank You for your service. Why, because it became so voge and the thing to do. People treat you like a second class citizen, then find out you are a vet and the mood changes. OH, Thank You For Your Service. Get out of here.
+1 Bro. Hear it all the time. I despised hearing it from the very FIRST time I heard some cuck mouth it. Though surely not alwas its too often become nothing more than a meetoo facade. Mind you NOT the word thanks, but that it many times and instance/s diminishes the currency of the sacrifice men, and many women, have made on behalf of this STILL most noble Country ever recorded to human history. Those who FREELY bequeathed their sacrifice, though never to themselves, to those most thoroughly unworthy of it - and by the way those I often suspect haven't the Code to walk in their shadows... and lay claim to the Right to VOTE, if they do at all. For someone like me who never served I can find far better ways to covey my absolute gratitude and respect. I Pray I'm doing exactly this.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It went through me Irish skull to copy this one and #2 as jpeg files. I'm going to take each to a place near us who can take these files and get them to framing type portraits. I'll get nice frames from like Hobby Lobby. All I want is for the transfers to be on quality paper, like 30"x30", and preserved however they do it to prevent fading or worse turning yellow. The place does "colorizing" too, but that would be close to a sacrilege here. Glad I didn't miss these.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The only thing I ever wanted or expected from my service were the benefits I earned.
I made 2 trips to VN and back, 68 and 70.
Enlisted to beat the draft and pushed my luck because I wanted to.
I never experienced harassment or disrespect from anyone.
I know some guys did, but it was just some extremist crackpots doing the actions.
It would be hard to let go, but some guys continue to spew how bad everyone got treated and it ain't the truth.
I was reasonably formidable in my day, but at 75 with a number of issues, I ain't anywhere near what I was and am aware of it, sadly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Even now . . . after all these years, I don't wear a vet hat, don't wear green, and 90% of the time will still not divulge vet / service rendered.
Hell, I've even denied it long ago. It's not open for any discussion, and the REAL (in my book) Heros occupy the cemetery.
Doesn't bother me someone else wears the vet stuff and gets "thanks for your service", .... but after 45 yrs someone is getting around to it ? ? ?

I remember ets day at Ft. Meade Maryland . . . . you mustered out in uniform with your clothing issue in your duffle bag, all other gear was already turned in.
Sat in this little building on a remote corner of the camp. Reviewed your records, signed some papers, collected last pay, 2 hours later. . . and your OUT ! !

We (12 guys) walked out and a few started to strip the uniform off (standing in the street) and pitch it into 2 large dumpsters at the back of the building.
Looked like fun, I joined in ! Anything green or military went into the dumpster including the duffle . . . . dumpsters were already full !
Get in your vehicle and head to HOR ! Yep, went ... participated . . . returned . . . . later I did some reserve and national guard time
Wasn't getting enough abuse in my life .. :giggle:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Some years ago, when I was on a reserve service in the 1.DEU/NLD Corps, I got an invitation from a M14 forum member LTC to his retirement ceremony in Detroit. My Chief of Staff, a Dutch Brigadier offered me to travel on a NATO travel order, but on own costs. So I booked Hamburg - London - Charlotte - Nashville - Detroit, to safe some money. What an adventure travelling in uniform. It starts in the United Airlines bird when the stewardess asked for my jacket to hang it in her private locker. TSA at Charlotte: Thank you for your service, follow me to the priority lane. Bording: Service personell in uniform and Platin Card holders first.
Where ever I went: Thank you for your service. I never encountered such kindness and respect, its totally unusual over here.
From that on I did it myself over here. The baffled faces are priceless.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.