M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure a lot of you have seen this one.
This is being sold as a 1988 Smith Ent rifle. From Different's book (Vol 2, pg 82) the Smith markings are quite varied. If 1988, It would be the investment cast and not the billet machined. There is a Mesa, AZ marking on the operating rod rail. The pre-94 Smith is interesting to me. I have no interest in a Smith from the current incarnation of the company.
These markings look more consistent with what Different describes as the post 2009 versions. What say you guys?

[URL=http://s698.photobucket.com/user/sdedier/media/Miscelaneous%20M1A/pix947615627_zps8a2ccb07.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
This is being sold as a 1988 Smith Ent rifle. From Different's book (Vol 2, pg 82) the Smith markings are quite varied. If 1988, It would be the investment cast and not the billet machined. There is a Mesa, AZ marking on the operating rod rail. The pre-94 Smith is interesting to me. I have no interest in a Smith from the current incarnation of the company.
These markings look more consistent with what Different describes as the post 2009 versions. What say you guys?

[URL=http://s698.photobucket.com/user/sdedier/media/Miscelaneous%20M1A/pix947615627_zps8a2ccb07.jpg.html][/URL]
Your right, wheel and deal make your best offer can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The real deal, came across a few some time ago and they looked just like it

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I have a double lugged SEI, S/N 1793, similarly marked like that one in the picture. It is actually on the way back from NC with a fresh barrel done up JY Wolfe.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Does yours have the windage markings off center like this one Bamban?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Does yours have the windage markings off center like this one Bamban?
Pull one of yours out of the safe, Blunderdog... (even an M1) you'll see they're all like that, some more noticeable than others.
Mike B

·
Registered
147 Posts
"Does yours have the windage markings off center" ???

As i recall it, SAI had off-center markings (I think I still have one), but not SEI.
I wish I could remember more, but I believe it was a trait of the early smith receivers that the curve on the heel was centered, rather than offset to the right (as on most others) that is making the windage markings appear to be more off center. On other receivers the markings are in line the apex of the curve.

Nevermind--I just checked a Winchester M14 rear half and the markings are nearly dead center.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Pull one of yours out of the safe, Blunderdog... (even an M1) you'll see they're all like that, some more noticeable than others.
Mike B
No they are not all like that. Not with the windage graduations off center between the rear sight ears, like the one pic he posted here.

"Does yours have the windage markings off center" ???

As i recall it, SAI had off-center markings (I think I still have one), but not SEI.
You can not see the pic?

I wish I could remember more, but I believe it was a trait of the early smith receivers that the curve on the heel was centered, rather than offset to the right (as on most others) that is making the windage markings appear to be more off center. On other receivers the markings are in line the apex of the curve.

Nevermind--I just checked a Winchester M14 rear half and the markings are nearly dead center.
Right. Plus the heel is off center to the left, not right. Exactly .055. It has nothing to do with centering the marks between the ears and with bore the centerline.

Regardless they are good receivers and assembled with primarily all GI parts.
If you can purchase for your perceived value, don't let the Smith biases here
divert you.
This has nothing to do with bias. I don't see how you would ever get a mean zero with off center windage marks like that. Go for it. Buy all of them you want to. Forget I wrote anything about it.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts

This receiver is definitely pre-'94. It was made in 1987 or 1988. It is an investment cast receiver.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Regardless they are good receivers and assembled with primarily all GI parts.
If you can purchase for your perceived value, don't let the Smith biases here
divert you.
Some of the bias is extremely well deserved. As with most things, do your own research and determine your own comfort level.
I don't see any comments saying off-center windage markings don't matter. Nor is anyone saying the windage markings are not off-center. Only the buyer can determine how important that is to them.
I have a build off of an old Smith receiver. Time to open the safe and take a look.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I never noticed the markings. I just set my sights the way I prefer them and never worry. I never ran out of windage even at 1000. Not yet anyway.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,302 Posts
I ran out of windage once with my SEI receivered M14 at 29 Palms during a 1000 yard match. It was a blustery day so I just held on the target to the left of mine... Actually, it was 24 clicks left and hold on the target to the left. Just a little windy!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Probably cast, but who knows. I called about my older receiver and Smith told me that not all for the "forged" receives were marked. After looking at a pic of my receiver, they said it could be one of the billet. Regardless of what it is, it works well and I am happy with it. I don't own any of their newer ones.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,302 Posts
utseabee has a cast receiver. Billet receivers were distinctive in that the heals were not symetrical, being lower on the left side. SEI had the curve of the heal centered on the axis of the bore rather than the heal which is off center. Even so, they were excellent receivers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts