M14 Forum banner

Old Hickory knives

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  NE450N02 
#1 ·
I picked up a couple of "Old Hickory" knives the other day, they are a 6" straight double edge knife. I thought they might make a decent throwing knife, I also bought a skinning knife, they are cheap price wise but for a beater knife they not to bad. There not as nice as ones made 50 years ago, the grind on the blade is a little inconsistent but for what you are paying for them I didn't bitch.

http://www.knivesplus.com/QN-736-Old-Hickory.HTML

http://www.knivesplus.com/OLD-HICKORY-KNIVES.HTML

Casey

#3 ·
Old Hickory's are good carbon steal knives. That's what we used while I was growing up to butcher the yearly cow and hog.

Went hog hunting a couple years ago and took an Old Hickory with me. Had another hunter ask if he could borrow it after his $400 custom didn't seem to be cutting it (pun intended). They really do a great job for the intended purpose.

#8 ·
Old Hickory are 'trade knives'. Many food service places have a contract with a knife or restaurant supply company that rents them , and every week , month or so , they come and replace them with freshly sharpened ones.

Plain high carbon steel (1095) , they take a good edge , but rust rather easily. I've had a few , but since I'm lazy and leave stuff in the sink , I need stainless , or lately , ceramic.

#9 ·
I my experience with skinning critters I have found that a knife that is easily renewed is much more desirable than one that takes a lot of time to bring an edge back. 1095 is easy to renew, a few strokes across a stone or steel and you are back to work, even if you let it go a little too far. A 4" drop point works best for me.

A little olive oil on the kitchen knives helps keep the rust down.

#11 ·
Probably what my old Schrade Sharp Finger is made from because it takes a keen edge and rusts if ya look at it funny. Got it for a paid 2-3(?) year subscription to G&A back in the late-70s or so.

The last deer I dressed & skinned , I used a Wyoming Skinner. Replaceable surgical stainless blades. The one I have is chromed pot-metal , but the newest ones are plastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.