M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Problem is that most glasses to help you read are too strong to use for shooting. 'Reading glasses' range from about +1.25 diopters to +3.00 diopters. And yes, around +1.00 diopters will give you a very nice front sight, but it brings your focus in so close you lose the target. The entire basis of shooting vision that is different from reading correction that doctors understand is that you want to use the average of the correction for the target and the sight, so your depth of field is centered between the two, hence the correct solution of +0.50 for most rifles. This moves your focal point closer to, but not all the way, to the front sight, but also leaves some of your focus on the target.
Makes sense. I use +1.5 to +2.0 glasses for reading, so to use them shooting irons does exactly what you say...the target is fuzzy. My solution is to not use any correction and have a less fuzzy target. If using a very slight correction is the answer, where can I find +.50 shooting glasses?

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I sell them. I worked with a safety glasses company and had +0.50 for rifle and +0.75 for pistol made.

To be clear, you want to add +0.50 or +0.75 to any distance prescription you have. If you have 20/20, you are good to go, and only need the +0.50 or +0.75, but if you do have a distance correction, even mild, you want to do the math and get custom lenses.
Just ordered two pair. +.50 and +.75. Thanks for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts