M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago, I got a Colt Officers Model 38 made in 1937. A Tyler T-Grip arrived for it about a month ago, and that really improves the grip for me.

I've been working up a target load using Winchester 231 and Hornady 148 grain hollow-based wadcutters. Yesterday, I had one really nice target. I confess that I did stop at 5 shots to avoid spoiling the 7/8" group. Distance was 15 yards. 2-hand grip.

Reactions: jmoore

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Nice group! My son shoots a 1935 Colt Officer's Match and gets similar results. My first-generation 7 1/2" Colt SAA (1905) will still group as new but due to its rarity I seldom shoot it. The granddaddy around here is my .58 Cal. US 1855 rifled musket made in 1859 with which I blackpowder deer hunted for years. With two 30 gr. Clean Shot pellets and a dry 500 gr. Minnie ball it's as good as it was in 1859.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Those are very accurate and depenable. I was taking my boat out of the lake at 0300 when a copperhead started toward the light and me.I took my old Colt police positive and at about 10 yards I put the first one right between his eyes. I really like the old Colts and have quit a few. Buy them while they are still cheap.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy them while they are still cheap.
Welllll, they aren't exactly cheap anymore, but my Colts include a Model 1917 (service date June 1918), this Officers Model 38, an Officers Model Match (.22LR), and my grandfathers 1903 Pocket Hammerless. Currently I'm looking for a Model 357 - a neat model made from 1954 to 1961 that's basically a plain jane Python without the crazy price tag.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
We shot the Marine Corps League state pistol championship in the rain on Saturday and I used my vintage 6" Python. End result was that my three-man team came in second by two points to a team that we beat last year by four points. Many prefer the 4" barrel in these but I find the six to be an advantage in both rapid fire and slow fire.DI2

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I have a Colt Army Special in 32-20, which is the older version of your Officers Model. I also have a Colt Officer's Model Special in .38 special that is an absolute tack driver. Both of those fine old Colts share the same lock work with the Colt Python.

7th

·
Banned
937 Posts
New Does NOT always mean better!!!

Amen Brothers!!!

My Colt New Service in .45 Colt....

With my cowboy action loads (200 gr laser cast at 1000FPS) it holds the ten ring easily at 20 plus yards, despite a heavy single action left off.. It was originally chambered for .455 Eley, but someone bored out the cylinder to .45 Colt and did a great job of over stamping the original chambering. (look close)

I bought this from mrgoodrifle a few months before he closed his shop and “pulled pins”. The bore on this shooter has some pitting due to mis-care/maintenance over the years but still shoots great. I had mrgoodrifle run the serial number and it is a 1916 production… I call it my “Mr. Harrigan” pistol from the movie “The Wild Bunch”, although if you look close I think Albert Dekker aka “Pat Harrigan” may be packing a smaller frame .38 Long Colt. As an aside note, I pick up a three piece suite at a high end thrift shop in Bellevue, WA a few years back that is a total knock-off of Mr. Harrigan’s suite you see in the beginning of the “Wild Bunch”…

BTW, this is my number 1 carry gun when I head out horseback and heeled “On Campaign” from here at the “Barracks”… If required I also carry an early production Vaquero in .45 Colt as a backup…

Reactions: PaulGman

·
Registered
159 Posts
The oldies even work well with ancient ammunition. Here's a 6-shot group fired single-action two-handed at 10 yards with a .41 Long Colt chambered Colt Army Special and Remington 195 grain lead factory loads.

Moved in to 7 yards to shoot this rapid-fire double action group with the same revolver and Western 200 grain Lubaloy ammunition

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
No pictures of it, but for accuracy I would put up my old S&W Victory Model (British loaner from 1942 in .38 S&W) against any most handguns. There's just something about an old revolver that is fun, isn't there?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.