M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's I just got a Gun from my Brother In Law to clean up and refinish the stock. We both are woundering what it is. My be somebody out can tell me. It looks like it's a 30cal. Carbine Bore as a 30cal. Bullet is the size of the Bore. I'm confused.
oldtimer35

NAV1 USAF2

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
m1917 enfield?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the same, but it has ERA above the Ser# and thats the only Marking on it. I agree with the 1917 Action but how about the Caliber, I believe a 303 is bigger than a 30 cal Carbine.
oldtimer
NAV1 USAF2

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I think the M1917 enfield was 30-06 ( according to wiki )

·
Registered
743 Posts
It is a P-14 made by Eddystone. It's original caliber was .303.

The P-14 was the rifle that the U.S. Model of 1917 was based on.

Cass

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bore to small for a 30.06, if it's P14 303 British is a 303 the same size Bullet,not casing just Bullet. As I said above a 30cal Carbine Bullet fits the Bore perfectly, thats one sitting in the Bore.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Bore to small for a 30.06, if it's P14 303 British is a 303 the same size Bullet,not casing just Bullet. As I said above a 30cal Carbine Bullet fits the Bore perfectly, thats one sitting in the Bore.
Well, it's the diff between "303" Brit bullet diameter = .312 v. U.S. .308, and the Brit cartridge = rimmed 57 mm length v. U.S. 63 mm rimless .30-06. The .30 carbine's bullet diameter also = .308. Chamber a .30-06 dummy round and see what the bolt wants to do when you close it. Reads like your Pattern rifle is U.S. .30-06 (a '17).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here's some more markings. Looks like it is a German Mauser Action, and there is no British Regement Disc in the Stock so I guess it's American. I don't have any measuring instruments or 30.06/303 cartridges so I guess it is 30.06.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tomorrow I'll take it to a Gun Smith in town. He should be able to tell what it is and what caliber. I'm sorry to have bothered or upset anybody with my dumbe questions.
oldtimer35
NAV1 USAF2

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
No bother, no upset. Your Q's are good b/c the U.S. made both the '14 and '17 rifles and, Lord knows, most of them saw service somewhere and got rebuilt later with new barrels, different bolts, odd markings, etc., the net effect being you have to assure yourself it'll be safe and functional to shoot in 2011. I'll bet your 'smith can confirm the caliber without having to slug the barrel. I'd get the headspace checked, too. They're real strong actions. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Here's some more markings. Looks like it is a German Mauser Action, and there is no British Regement Disc in the Stock so I guess it's American. I don't have any measuring instruments or 30.06/303 cartridges so I guess it is 30.06.
These are British proofmarks, indicating a P14. Originally .303Brit.

Can you post these in a little clearer pic?

·
Registered
743 Posts
As I said in the post on the first page, it is a P-14, or Pattern 1914 Enfield, made at Remington's Eddystone plant. That was indicated by the picture of the ERA marking on the receiver. The British proof marks also confirm that.

As a P-14, it was originally chambered in .303, but since it could have been rechambered, you should have your gunsmith confirm the caliber.

The stock appears to be a U.S. M1917 stock based on the finger grooves and lack of the stock disc.

Cass

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Tomorrow I'll take it to a Gun Smith in town. He should be able to tell what it is and what caliber. I'm sorry to have bothered or upset anybody with my dumbe questions.
oldtimer35
NAV1 USAF2
The safest route is probably to take it to your gunsmith and have him check it out. Those rifles have been on the surplus market for a while and they were a fairly popular platform for people to sportarize or reconfigure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If it has US markings its 30/06. Its what Sgt York won the CMH with.

HH
Respectfully, I would have to disagree with the statement that Sgt. York used a 1917 Enfield in the action for which he received the CMH, the hill of Chatel Chehery. While the 82nd Infantry Division was issued 1917 Enfields when the disembarked for France, York obtained a 1903, in a midnight requisition, from a Marine unit camped near the 82nd. This was documented in an article that appeared in the American Rifleman magazine a few years ago. The information, relative to the fact that York used an 03', was confirmed by the author with one of York's sons, Ranger Andrew York. Andrew worked for the State of Tennessee Park Services and was the ranger assigned to the state park in Fentress County, Tennessee, The Sgt. York Grist Mill and Park.

The statue of Sgt. York, on the state capital gounds in Nashville, TN, depicts him holding a 1903.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I just got back from the Gun Smith. He uncovered some more markings under the crud. You guys that said P14 British 303 pat your self on your back you are RIGHT. He said with the almost new wood it probabliy was a Lend Lease, American Built and Shipped to England and when it came back New Wood was installed.
Thanx all of you for you input you know what your talking about when it comes to Old Guns. Again Thanx.
oldtimer35

NAV1 USAF2

·
Registered
684 Posts
;)

That is the broad arrow proof so I think you have a 303 #3 Enfield.

If you showed to some expert and he didn't have a 303 or 3006 case to shove in it or even a 303 or 3006 stripper the try in the bridge slot I would not take his advice as 100%

Get some empty cases and try them on the bolt face.

Your not out of the woods yet, be safe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts