M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I normally shoot the bigger 595 rear ap. Helps at 600 yards when the target blurs into the dirt berm behind it.

But I have been doing more bench shooting at 200 recently. And I get pre-occupied with centering the front sight in the rear ap. And of course that leads to shots all over the place.

So I switched one rifle to a 520 ap today, and saw some positive improvements (not good enough for a picture!).

What do the senior members here like, as far as rear ap diameter??

·
Eye Master
3,945 Posts
Dave,

I'm an old fart, and when my vision went, I founded ShootingSight LLC to help shooters see.

Couple of things:

1. The smaller the aperture, the bigger your depth of field (that's basic photography stuff), and since rifle shooting is all about depth of field (simultaneously focusing on a near front sight post,and a distant target), small apertures are good. The smaller, the better, unless you get so small that the amount of light coming through is limited, and the image goes dark.

2. When you get old and presbiopic (you need reading glasses), you cannot easily focus up close. To shoot, you need your focus to be somewhat close, at the 'hyperfocal' distance of your front sight (more photog stuff - google it). As you get old, you have difficulty focusing up close. Reading glasses will shift your focus up close, but for shooting, even the weakest reading glasses are too close. You'll see a crisp front sight, but the target will be so gone, it is useless. Optical math suggests that for an M-1A, you want about a +0.5 diopter lens to shift your relaxed focal point from infinity to the ideal focal point for shooting.

There are two sources of +0.5 lenses that I know of:

a. Look for bjonessights.com Bob sells small lenses that fit in the hood of a NM rear sight (and are legal for use in NM shooting), and I guarantee that it will make you say "Wow!" Tell Bob you want a +0.5. Cost is around $30, cheap enough that you can try it.

b. I was at a Staples store, and they had computer glasses in +0.5 power for $20. If you can find these, grab them. +0.5 is normally way lower than anyone sells for reading glasses (which usually start at +1.25). These were probably ordered by a junior buyer who is now out of a job, but are the cheapest option to try, if you can find them, but the final answer if you don't have funky vision problems is a +0.5 lens between your eye and the smallest rear aperture possible.

Art

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Dave,

It is not necessary to have the front sight 'perfectly' centered in the rear aperture.
As long as the front sight and target are good, AND they are reasonably centered in the rear, then the shot will be good.

It is better to concentrate on good front sight & target alignment and trigger control.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Dave,

It is not necessary to have the front sight 'perfectly' centered in the rear aperture.
As long as the front sight and target are good, AND they are reasonably centered in the rear, then the shot will be good.

It is better to concentrate on good front sight & target alignment and trigger control.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
I agree with that, I thought You knew that Dave!
I fixed my aging Eye Problem with a Bob Jones Insert which is NRA Match Legal, look at the Aperture on the Left Rifle!

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
When using a hooded aperture, I prefer a .595. But when using a non hooded which is more common for me these days, I seem to do better with a .520. I concentrate on the front sight and let my eye natural center it in the rear. By the way Art Neergaard's little tool is a god send to those of us who do changer apertures occasionally. I've used it a lot and liked it enough that I bought extra's for friends.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me try to explain better ...

I know that I need to focus on the frnt sight. I do that.

I know my eyes are old and nearsighted. I have shooting glasses to allow frnt sight focus. Target is blurry.

I "should" ignore the rear sight. I try to do that. But if I don't pay attention to where the frnt post is in the rear ap, I seem to get too much spread on the target. So I tried a smaller rear ap (making it easier to center the post), and that "seems" to help.

And again, I am spending more time at the 200 bench these days, with very good lighting: I am in the shade, target is in bright sun.

I tried a horizontal ap; that gave me a horizontal spread. I turn it vertical, and a get a vertical spread.

I do have a BJ insert, (it is here somewhere), and depending on which shootings glasses I wear, it surely does help. But normally I don't think I need it (when I wear suitable shooting glasses).

Just kinda bitchin - wondering if anybody else saw significant improvement in scores going to a smaller rear aperture.

( I see Art did some custom filters for German out in Arizona - he was one of my mentors here a few years back - great shooter and a fine man!).

Thanks for listening guys!

Dave

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm having cataract surgery done on my right eye next Tuesday, and getting a multi focal lens installled. Hopefullly that will fix my shooting issues.DI5

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I'm having cataract surgery done on my right eye next Tuesday, and getting a multi focal lens installled. Hopefullly that will fix my shooting issues.DI5
I turned 58 two months ago, I am one of the old farts. Please send us the report on how the multi focal lens works our for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts