M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may be my knee-jerk reaction, but I decided to put a whole house back up generator. Those of you guys who installed such units, what is your opinion on this one?

My preference would be propane or natural gas fired.

Generac Guardian Series Air-Cooled Home Standby Generator — 22 kW (LP)/19.5 kW (NG), 200 Amp Transfer Switch, Model# 7043

On a parallel next project would be a non-potable water reserve tank that I recycle water watering the wife's garden.

I welcome any experience on this as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
We’ve used a lot of generac generators on our houses Nez, homeowners like them, they usually fire up once a week to charge batteries and get lube flowing. Seem like a good backup system. Get a hood installer and you will be pleased.
Personally, I keep a 3500 watt inverter generator that I use for my camper as my go to problem solver. But I’m cheap. All I need is my fridge and my furnace and I’m good.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I gave a lot of thought to exactly what you are considering, but the problem I encountered was availability. No Generac dealer in the north Texas area had any in stock and the wait time was three months. I doubt the situation has improved. However, after this week ,,,,, I'm thinking about it again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Got a Champion 10Kw with dual fuel (propane/gasoline) option two years ago. Had an electrician install a transfer panel that handles most of the house, exception being electric stove and dryer. All other "important" stuff, fridge, furnace, lights, alarm system are on the generator. Manual connection and start up, yeah also cheap here. Military discount at Lowe's saved me a hundred bucks on this unit. Works great, not really sensitive electronic device friendly but I'll take my chances. Next purchase may be a power conditioner for electronics. Used to use those a lot in Honduras when I worked there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I gave a lot of thought to exactly what you are considering, but the problem I encountered was availability. No Generac dealer in the north Texas area had any in stock and the wait time was three months. I doubt the situation has improved. However, after this week ,,,,, I'm thinking about it again.
I just looked for giggles, I can't find ANY hole house available anywhere.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Got a Champion 10Kw with dual fuel (propane/gasoline) option two years ago. Had an electrician install a transfer panel that handles most of the house, exception being electric stove and dryer. All other "important" stuff, fridge, furnace, lights, alarm system are on the generator. Manual connection and start up, yeah also cheap here. Military discount at Lowe's saved me a hundred bucks on this unit. Works great, not really sensitive electronic device friendly but I'll take my chances. Next purchase may be a power conditioner for electronics. Used to use those a lot in Honduras when I worked there.
Mine is a champion as well but one man lift size, nice a quiet and good for electronics. Just don’t ask for a ton of power. It will however run my ac in the camper when wife and I go to range for the weekend.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Have you done a load calculation to determine the generator kW you really need?
The main breaker of your power panel is not necessarily what size generator you need.
Bigger can be better since you can add loads, such as a neighbor.
Here on the coast of Texas, hurricanes are the cause of the majority of our power outages.
First time we ever loss power during the winter.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
It will take gas if you have it in your neigborhood, we do not. If you don't have gas then it needs butane. People who tried to use gas powered generators in this most recent storm found that getting gas for their generators was a really chore and in some cased not available.

·
Registered
836 Posts
It may be my knee-jerk reaction, but I decided to put a whole house back up generator. Those of you guys who installed such units, what is your opinion on this one?

My preference would be propane or natural gas fired.

Generac Guardian Series Air-Cooled Home Standby Generator — 22 kW (LP)/19.5 kW (NG), 200 Amp Transfer Switch, Model# 7043

On a parallel next project would be a non-potable water reserve tank that I recycle water watering the wife's garden.

I welcome any experience on this as well.
My wife and I run a Kohler 14kw. It is propane powered. Should run our whole and 30'×40' shop including the a/c in both. I was told it runs quieter than a generac by the distributor who sells both and installed ours. So far we are pleased. Was told by the distributor/installer NOT to weld during an outage.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you all for the input. I learned a hard lesson when I bought the mini split for my garage/shop. I went with the least expensive one total price wise, what a mistake. The unit itself is fine, the installation was atrocious. Support after the sale was non existent. My fault, I did not research enough about the company I awarded the contract to. I should know better. Found out later when final bill came, the local operation is a franchise.

I held the final payment till they resolved all the issues.

For the generator I will be contracting a homegrown business, after interviewing and vetting them.

Looks like choices boil down to Generic, Champion, Kohler. My veterans discout at Lowes and HD is definitely a consideration.

Our house is both gas and electric, the former feeds the water heater, stove, clothes dryer, and heater. The winter biggest draw would be the fridge/freezer, one in the house and one in the garage, the mini split, and the portable electric heater that I use in conjunction with the mini. All lights have been replaced with LEDs. The 1440EV with 5HP motor on 220 single phase. Summer will add the 5 ton AC unit. Have not calculated the total full load amps and run load. My guess the total current draw would not be that much.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thank you all for the input. I learned a hard lesson when I bought the mini split for my garage/shop. I went with the least expensive one total price wise, what a mistake. The unit itself is fine, the installation was atrocious. Support after the sale was non existent. My fault, I did not research enough about the company I awarded the contract to. I should know better. Found out later when final bill came, the local operation is a franchise.

I held the final payment till they resolved all the issues.

For the generator I will be contracting a homegrown business, after interviewing and vetting them.

Looks like choices boil down to Generic, Champion, Kohler. My veterans discout at Lowes and HD is definitely a consideration.

Our house is both gas and electric, the former feeds the water heater, stove, clothes dryer, and heater. The winter biggest draw would be the fridge/freezer, one in the house and one in the garage, the mini split, and the portable electric heater that I use in conjunction with the mini. All lights have been replaced with LEDs. The 1440EV with 5HP motor on 220 single phase. Summer will add the 5 ton AC unit. Have not calculated the total full load amps and run load. My guess the total current draw would not be that much.
Don't forget to pay attention to placement. They can get pretty loud. (Unless you do a noise baffling treatment in the right direction.)

You could also look into Brick Wall surge suppressors to smooth out certain power fuzziness if you only want to do that for certain items. If memory serves, they do a pretty good job, much like a power isolation transformer would do. Actually, now that I think of it, one of those in between the generator feed and your sub box might be a plan. We had one at one place I worked to keep the line noise down in an editing facility. Talk to the installers. They might have a suggestion or three.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've installed many Generac generators for customers. It's like buying a new truck. You may have good luck with it and you may have a few problems. Just stay on top of the maintenance and don't rely on its weekly or bi-weekly exercise as a guarantee that it'll work like it should when there's an outage. If there is a problem in the transfer switch it won't matter if the generator comes on, you still won't have power. You'll have to manually transfer it.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've installed many Generac generators for customers. It's like buying a new truck. You may have good luck with it and you may have a few problems. Just stay on top of the maintenance and don't rely on its weekly or bi-weekly exercise as a guarantee that it'll work like it should when there's an outage. If there is a problem in the transfer switch it won't matter if the generator comes on, you still won't have power. You'll have to manually transfer it.
Where about in TX do you operate?

·
Sergeant Major
101 Posts
My wife and I have been discussing this topic quite a bit for the last six months. I imagine there is going to be quite a run on them now.

Reactions: Louis1332

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I installed a natural gas gen set at my old boss's house & we had a Generac w/ a V10 Ford engine installed at the shop. Both gave problems when it was time for them to start & exercise. Long story short there was NO CHARGING SYSTEM on either one! So be sure there is a way to charge the battery!
The one you posted don't say what kinda engine is in it. I'm picky about those things.
I use my Miller Trailblazer. I throw the main disconnect & plug an extension cord from the welder to the 50amp dryer plug & back feed the panel thru the dryer breaker. All we run is the fridge & freezer, however the wife did hook the computers up this time!
I will install a manual transfer switch this summer though.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts