M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've never owned an M1A but have shot them and always wanted one but didn't like the price tag.

I'm looking at a "Basic" Springfield right now that was shot only once or twice, it has the black fiberglass stock.

the barrel says "Winchester" (whats up with that?) It's chrome lined.

The bolt has two numbers , the top number ends with "SA" and the bottom number starts with an "F" (is the bolt a good one?)

The reciever SN is1512xx.

The rifle was shipped in Jan 03.

I can get it for $900 +tax. Is this a good deal? Are the stock components well made on this one? Is the stock junk or can it do 1-2"@100?

Thanks, TH

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
That's a good price. The thing about starting with a standard is as money permits you can constantly do small improvements that with reduce moa alittle at time. At 100 yds the rifle will probably do 2" groups.
HH

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I'm pretty sure the F on the bolt means its Forged,Springfield did use them on some,my Scout has one also,,its not USGI but it's supposed to be a good bolt! :)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha TexasHoldum:

That is an excellent price for a standard. Getting a USGI Winchester barrel is very good and getting quite rare or harder to find (USGI barrels in general).

If you are looking for an M14 type rifle, that would be a good place to start... the price is right or really good. I would not expect sub MOA groups with this rifle as is, but I think it will hold its own with HK's, FAL's and AR-10's for sure and maybe a little more... :lol:

As HH said, the M14 type rifle is extremely "customizable" and can be made to do or look almost any way you can imagine. The USGI parts although getting scarce can be bought all over the place... aftermarket parts abound galore!

So if you want a M14 type rifle, I would get it.

Aloha and Happy Holidays,

Tom O.

·
Read Only
2,559 Posts
I throw another vote toward the "buy" category. The last rifle of nearly identical description I came across was $1150. The F000XX bolts are good bolts. The Winchester barrel is good GI stuff.

The only drawback is that you will soon be spending all your discretionary funds on magazines and ammo - the ammo part never goes away... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.