M14 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Browning Citori 525 Sporting for clays - was thinking about a custom over under but I bought this one because it fit like a glove.

When I got it home, I found that there was A LOT of fingerprints and streaking on the barrels; so I wiped them down my silicon cloth with RemOil, as I do with all my guns to protect them, and never had a problem with it before. I got streaks on the barrels in the rainbow oily look on it. Kinda ticked because the shotgun was in a glass case so I didn't expect everyone to have their pizza grease covered paws on it; I asked one of the knowledgeable people about it and after a 20 minute briefing about various reasons, I was recommended Marvel Mystery Oil because it is a lighter oil than RemOil. Buy it, clean up the barrels with rubbing alcohol to get the old oil off of it and -- same problem. Rainbow oil streaks along the barrel.

The rubbing alcohol alone seems to go a fairly good job of making the barrels look 'right,' but I'm wondering why RemOil would work on my other rifles and shotguns and not on this one.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Karl

·
Registered
229 Posts
In my experience and by word of mouth, Rem oil is pretty much worthless. It sounds like it has grease..from hands or factory grease. Rem oil is oil...and you're trying to take off oil with more oil..as it was explained to me. You need to get a dedicated cleaner and try that first. I personally use CLP on everything I own...it's an oil too, but it cleans a lot better than Rem oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts