M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my M1A today after work. Boy what an ordeal. Supposed to be a half hour trip, actually took 1 hour and 15 minutes encountered two accidents along the way. One that reduced three lanes to one and the other a stalled car in the middle lane of the freeway plus it was around 80 degrees or more, in a car with a heater that's stuck on. But boy was it worth it, just look at the pics. I was going to take a Garand to the high power clinic but I don't think I can resist taking my new rifle.

Came with a springfield tag stating the measured headspace is 1.633. Is this the standard measurement most people have? PRetty happy with the stock stock. No need to buy another stock for now, might grab a sparrowhawk dummy selector kit. But I guess the proof's in the pudding. So I'll let you guys know how she shoots later. I'm used to the barely discernible cartouches on my Garands. IIs this a real DOD cartouche or a stamp put on by Springfield ARmory INC?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Chickenfried,

Never saw a three lane road. Was it gravel or blacktop?

You have a USGI with a real DOD cartouche. Have fun with your new rifle it will do well for you.

Don't get put out and use it on the stuck heater. It will do the job but the cleanup will be too involved.

TomR

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha CF:

Man, that looks like new wood! That cartouche looks very clean and crisp... I noticed that you had the SA Muzzle Brake on the rifle, do you live in CA? Nice looking rifle... AWESOME to have a postban in a "new" wood stock... Wow!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Dang, almost looks preban with that stock..headspace is fine...SA seems to center around 632..633..well below NATO spec of 638 or so.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup I'm in the land of ten day waiting periods and muzzle brakes. When I first went to go start the paperwork on the rifle I didn't even notice the cartouche. I felt kind of stupid afterwards cause I didn't even check out the rifle. Just picked it up and said yup that's the one I want. Usually I'm a very picky shopper. I always do the freeway lane math wrong it was three lanes on one side, just regular asphalt. Can't wait to shoot it, should I clean and lube, and take it to the high power clinic, instead of my garand?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Clean, lube, check all nuts and set screw to insure they are secure.
Check the rear sight windage and elevation knobs for proper tension.

Take the M1 and the M1A. Let them keep each other company. When you get to the clinic take the one that would feel better.

Have fun and do good.

TomR

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Looks real good there chickenfried ... :wink:

With the help of "dig" ... He and I resized and reposted your original pics which were just a wee bit too big an placed them back here for ya. Maximum pixel width on pics here is the same as across the street ... 400 wide.

Keep us posted and let us know how she fairs during range time ... :wink:

Mighty fine lookin piece of wood ya got there ...

Six

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Congrats Chickenfried!!

That is one nice looking rifle! So that's what SA Inc's new collector stock looks like eh? Never seen one up close and always wonder if the used
"old" USGI stocks or make up the stamps on their own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts