M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
High Hat. That is a good one. I end up in your state about three times a year. Keep an eye on those liberals coming into Memphis and Nashville. I must say I have always been able to find some great food and the folks have always been very friendly. Glad to see you folks won the deal with the NY Amazon mess.

· Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel so bad for those in Oregon and Washington. Both states are dominated by one big city and liberal politics that moved in from California. Years ago, I would really look forward to a trip to Portland or Seattle. Now, not so much. Portland is the worst. I used to love to stay right down near Pioneer Square. Now, you don't dare go down there.

Hang in there. You are all certainly welcome here. We love gun folks.

· Registered
10,969 Posts
I have been telling folks about this the past few years and often I get real skeptical looks. It is real folks. We are a gun state and always will be a gun state. The core of our history is built upon protecting freedom.

Here is some more proof:

https://www.ksl.com/article/4636333...stuff-essential-facts-every-utahn-should-know

https://onlinelibrary.utah.gov/research/utah_symbols/firearm.html
I'm ashamed to say that I didn't live there long enough to know that, but I have to say that I really like living in Montana. Good to see your posts, I miss the range trips.

Reactions: SteedGun

· Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Montana seems to still be doing great. We miss you too RAMMAC. I think we are going to try to get a range trip going in late March or early April.

· Registered
10,969 Posts
Heck, I'll probably still be plowing snow then...of course that doesn't stop me from shooting out my back door.

Reactions: SteedGun

· Registered
205 Posts
Arizona has a state gun too - Colt Peacemaker - and the handwringers collectively peed themselves when it happened.

On the other side of the ledger, Wilber Wildcat, the University of Arizona mascot, *used* to be openly armed with a brace of revolvers, until the University administration decided that "sent the wrong message" and declawed poor Wilber.

---addendum---

Still pissed about that one; can't even find an old pic with the sidearms - the internet's been "cleansed." What's the point of the gun belt without the holsters?

Reactions: nicholst55

· Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of these posts I will tell the tale of what RAMMAC, Mr Shmitty, and Jeff, did with my Wilson Combat CQB 45 Elite. We will need multiple accounts to verify what occurred because most will not believe it if I am the only one telling the story.

· Registered
10,969 Posts
I was only able to find a video of him shooting my FNX-.45. He hit 3 out of 7 shots on the steel at 100 yards.

· Registered
4,213 Posts
I knew it!

My former Father-N-Law told me that about the 1911 being Utah's State Gun many years ago. He and my former Mother-N-Law were both from Utah. They met in California when he got out of the Marines after serving in Korea. They settled in San Diego. When I was stationed there in the early 80's I met and married their Daughter (makes me shudder now to even think about it). A year or so after we married, they moved back to Utah to be near their family (Beaver, UT). I will admit it was pretty nice. He built a nice house and had a good sized chunk of property.....great hunting.

Eventually all his kids moved there....when my first enlistment was coming to an end I was dead set on becoming a Poway Sheriff, Border Patrol, or US Marshall. I had connections for each. But on a visit to Utah my former Father-N-Law showed me the chunk of property that would be mine "if" we moved there....and he said there happened to be an opening in the town Police Department....I will never forget the day he took me into town for the application....the clerk at the window was very pleasant, and she greeted us with a big welcome (staged, she knew him from "church"). As we were chatting she handed me some forms and it came up..she asked my former Father-N-Law..." will he be here to attend Church this Sunday?"......ever the wise cracker I stated "They have Catholic Church here in town? Boy will my folks be happy about that!"....those papers were ripped right from my hand and she returned to her desk. My former Father-N-Law said to me as we walked out...."well, that's that...."

......I ended up re-enlisting in the Navy....4yrs after that I was transferred back to East Coast...people kept showing up at our door wanting us to pray and whatever...3yrs after that my "then" Wife couldn't take it any more and left to be with the sheep in Utah...it was almost a cult like atmosphere.

Sorry got off track with the past.....but yep I knew about the 1911 thing and Utah.

· Registered
10,969 Posts
I was never treated that way by any of the religious people I met and it's against city, county, state, and federal law to do things like that. I'm not saying that you wont ever find discrimination based on religion, that happens, but it's never blatant, in your face stuff. You simply don't get a job and they'll justify it by saying you didn't meet the requirements. But honestly, since Salt Lake City has one of the largest gay communities of any U.S. city it's hard to believe that the people there are actively discriminating over religious beliefs.

In general I ran in to problems that are more common with bigger cities (I lived just north of Salt Lake City in that big urban strip along the Salt Lake) more than problems inspired by religious differences. Salt Lake City has become a bastion of leftist social action and they are very militant about their views. Like most large cities in the U.S., they control the politics of their respective states, not the rural people that, quite often, outnumber them.

Hell, here in Montana everybody knows that Missoula is progressive and that all the crazy crap comes from there, unfortunately Bozeman and Helena aren't far behind. If there is a university in the town then the larger it is the better the chance that the town will be progressive.

· Registered
3,107 Posts
I guess our state firearm would have to be the 12 gauge side by side but painted white. We use these for our formal weddings! GI1
HH

The official gun of TN is the Barrett M82.... after Ronnie in your hometown!

Your pick is much funnier!

· Registered
4,213 Posts
I was never treated that way by any of the religious people I met and it's against city, county, state, and federal law to do things like that. I'm not saying that you wont ever find discrimination based on religion, that happens, but it's never blatant, in your face stuff. You simply don't get a job and they'll justify it by saying you didn't meet the requirements. But honestly, since Salt Lake City has one of the largest gay communities of any U.S. city it's hard to believe that the people there are actively discriminating over religious beliefs.

In general I ran in to problems that are more common with bigger cities (I lived just north of Salt Lake City in that big urban strip along the Salt Lake) more than problems inspired by religious differences. Salt Lake City has become a bastion of leftist social action and they are very militant about their views. Like most large cities in the U.S., they control the politics of their respective states, not the rural people that, quite often, outnumber them.

Hell, here in Montana everybody knows that Missoula is progressive and that all the crazy crap comes from there, unfortunately Bozeman and Helena aren't far behind. If there is a university in the town then the larger it is the better the chance that the town will be progressive.
Maybe because it was a small town? Beaver is a speck compared to SLC. The town is about a 1.5 mi long strip along RT15. Beautiful country. I enjoyed the Muley hunting and trout fishing in the mountain reservoirs...and the off roading. The LDS/Mormons never really bothered me (us) until we were on East Coast. Groups were sent constantly. Not the boys in white shirts and black ties. But several woman at a time. It was annoying.

On visits I would be the only one drinking....that was an ordeal. There were only a couple places to get beer/liquor. One was a gas station/convenience type store. Would only sell one six pack per sales transaction. I would have to buy a six pack, put in truck, walk back in and buy another.....repeated a few times to get a case. Nobody in the family would buy it for me. Although her one Uncle would take one and chug it. The other place was a bar in town called "The Beaver Trap".....if you wanted liquor.....only the little mini bottles were served. Of course things may have changed since the 80's...my Daughters were raised in that town. Summers they came home to me for visitation. It really is a normal little town...just has some whacky laws and some very strict religious types.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.