M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Costco here has been selling these mosquito repelling units, appears to operate as a plastic clip on module with a battery powered little fan, and the claim is that they surround you with a cloud of repellant. The Costco units seem to be a pretty good deal with 5 refills and it also seems that you get a new fan battery in every such refill. I've only seen one of these in use, a referee at a 3 gun competition, and didn't ask him for feedback. I have to say the thing looked a little sissified in the 3 gun environment, but that's my boyhood hillbilly self talking and if these things work, I do hate coating myself in DEET. So, has anyone used the Off! thangs?

5,445 Posts
I prefer DEET myself as it worked well for years while operating in the jungles of Central America and around the Mediterranean.

Fans that blow bug repellent around?

I find that interesting... considering most of the blood suckers in my area are attracted to one's carbon dioxide footprint moreso than anything else. A fan blowing around CO2 would not be a good thing.

I have a funny story to relay but will have to do so later.

·
Registered
588 Posts
When we used to go into a jungle, Panama(Fort Sherman) or Okinawa(Camp Schwab) to run Gunny's o-course or do any kind of training. We used to spray down with OFF! or use the military bug juice. Both worked very well, OFF! was great because you could cover your uniform with it and the GI bug juice penetrated deeply into your pores kept your skin moist even after sweating and taking a hot shower afterwards.

Or you could grind with a nail file on your nail clippers up, a few match heads(sulfur) and pour it into your water to make your sweat eminate sulfur fumes while you perspired, it all works great.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thing is, DEET makes my skin burn, esp. after a few days of it, smells bad, and tastes worse. But I remember those little battery units from a few years back that emitted a high pitch squeal that was supposed to keep mosquitos away but didn't work at all or even attracted them...

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
If you are going to be stationary or whithin a small radius, give Thermacell a try. Been happy with mine while shooting at my dad's(He's got jungle like bug populations down there). Here in my county, they spray for mosquitoes. Unfortunatly, the most effective thing if you are on the move is Deet. I've found the non-deet repellants to be about useless.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If there's 100 people and one mosquito, I'm the one who gets bit. Until I started treating my clothes with permethrin. Sawyers is the mfg I buy at Walmart. I started having problems with my skin and deet (overheating). I started using this stuff over 10yrs ago and it works amazing. It was designed for tics but keeps anything that bites away. It goes on your clothing (not you) and has to dry. Once dried it's good for 3-4 washes. I almost always have long sleeves /pants on when in the outdoors now so exposed skin isn't an issue. If I dont, I'll put some deet based spray on exposed skin but wash off as soon as I can. I have found that even with exposed skin, I get bit way less than others. The treatment doesn't repel insects, it kills them.

You can buy clothing already treated in any outdoor store but its cheaper to treat the clothes yourself.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Meant to add - the off fans work like a citronella candle. If you move too much it blows away from you. Using two (one on each side of you) and staying between them work best.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
947 Posts
Costco here has been selling these mosquito repelling units, appears to operate as a plastic clip on module with a battery powered little fan, and the claim is that they surround you with a cloud of repellant. The Costco units seem to be a pretty good deal with 5 refills and it also seems that you get a new fan battery in every such refill. I've only seen one of these in use, a referee at a 3 gun competition, and didn't ask him for feedback. I have to say the thing looked a little sissified in the 3 gun environment, but that's my boyhood hillbilly self talking and if these things work, I do hate coating myself in DEET. So, has anyone used the Off! thangs?
I use one when camping at Camp Perry. I leave it running next to my cot. It works well.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If there's 100 people and one mosquito, I'm the one who gets bit. Until I started treating my clothes with permethrin. Sawyers is the mfg I buy at Walmart. I started having problems with my skin and deet (overheating). I started using this stuff over 10yrs ago and it works amazing. It was designed for tics but keeps anything that bites away. It goes on your clothing (not you) and has to dry. Once dried it's good for 3-4 washes. I almost always have long sleeves /pants on when in the outdoors now so exposed skin isn't an issue. If I dont, I'll put some deet based spray on exposed skin but wash off as soon as I can. I have found that even with exposed skin, I get bit way less than others. The treatment doesn't repel insects, it kills them.

You can buy clothing already treated in any outdoor store but its cheaper to treat the clothes yourself.

It sounds like it may be a derivative of Pyrethrum, a plant that resembles the Daisy, which has some of the same properties against insects by attacking the nervous system.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bought a set to study the fine print, of which there is a great deal. Batteries do not come with each refill as I assumed, the original unit contains 2 AAAs. Usual toxicity warnings, do not eat nor inhale the vapour, do not use indoors or in an enclosed space... fatal to aquatic organisms and bees (is that where they all went?)... I suppose the proof is in the using. For those who consider themselves a mosquito magnet, my kid brother is one, set him out and they'll pound him while ignoring everyone else, but I can't keep him with me hardly at all, too aggravating. I mostly get bitten on the legs, where I can't see or feel them coming. The thing may work for me, as long as I don't keep bees. Still haven't opened anything though.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Like others have said, try the Thermocell. It sounds and looks kinda gimmicky but I'm on record saying it seems to work. I've spent numerous days (& nights) hunting with that lil unit in all seasons and it has helped a lot. Also, deer and hogs don't seem to notice the aroma which is pretty awesome compared to the spray stuff.

·
Registered
459 Posts
No input on the Costco device.

When camping I don't use DEET - IMHO it is fish repellant!

Literally, if it is on my fingers and I am rigging my lines/lures …No Fish! Stopped using it and back to catch with a few releases .. GI2

Was told by an old timer to use Vapo Rub ; yes the stuff for colds/coughs in a small tub - it works for me I don't mind the smell….keep small jar in truck; goes for hiking, woods work or fishing!

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems Thermacells are not sold where I am, and anyway I don't really want something that needs to be charged with butane (cool looking though they are), so I'll be giving the Off thing a try and keeping the butane device in mind as a fallback. Camping in a few days, that will be test.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Activated my Off! unit yesterday, tried it out on a short hike through the woods. First thing I noted was that the fan gives off a very noticeable high pitched noise, which if I can hear it must mean that when carried it will scatter wildlife like a fire siren. The day was lightly breezy, so it wouldn't be at all fair to expect the thing to work while on the move, and it didn't. But when attached to the back of my ballcap, it did seem to keep the deerflies from lurking in my wind shadow. The real test will be when sitting stationary on a calm day, which is of course when one really tends to get bitten. If it works better than a big citronella candle under those conditions, I'll be satisfied. But basically, bottom line, this is just a gadget- I can't resist gadgets but I'll be keeping the usual big cans of Muskol around.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Thermacells definitely work I have used one a lot during early deer season. It is funny to watch bugs fly toward you, it is as if they hit and invisible wall and immediately fly off in another direction. That being said the Thermacells are kind of big and bulky and I am not wild at all about how long the refills last and their cost.

Some of my in-laws recently bought some of this stuff and my wife and kids used it a couple of times at family gatherings. They usually get eaten up by bugs anytime they are out and both of these instances they left without a single bite.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Insect-Repellent-Deet-Free-Oz/dp/B0026MX1AG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1404914191&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=gator+juice+insect+repellent[/ame]

Reactions: Sweets

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gave the Off! unit a try while camping in the piney woods. Under still air conditions when I was not moving, which is when mosquitos are most troublesome, it was quite successful, actually protected others as well. It was also useful placed in the vehicle when it was being loaded to leave- it kept the critters from swarming inside, either sniffing CO or just looking for shelter. It seems to be an actual repeller, not just a concealer like DEET. Anyway, it's always a negative treat to try and kill those intruders while you're driving and they're going for your ankles and the back of your neck, so the vehicle protection was much appreciated.

I'll keep mine, but especially if the inserted refills dry out on the shelf as advertised, I can't say it was cost effective.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts