M14 Forum banner

Of Barrel Length & Performance

1292 7
Has anyone conducted range tests to evaluate the performance differences of the 18" (Scout/Bush) barrel length to that of the 16"(M1A-A1/SOCOM) barrel length?
It would be great to be able to understand just what would be sacrificed in terms of ballistic performance when stepping down from a standard length barrel to those mentioned above.
Thanks!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I am sure there are folks....

converse, I am sure there are folks out there that have made studied this subject for some time. However, I currently own one of each - a national match, a scout/squad, and (finally) a SOCOM and I can't tell any difference and I sincerely doubt if anything downrange can either. There is a reduction in velocity, an increase in muzzle flash with the shorter barrels - however, in real life, I can't tell that much difference in them - they are all pure fun to shoot. I am sure the folks that take their shooting more seriously than I, will point out where I am wrong - however, any M1-A/M14 is a very capable weapon and the ability of the shooter will prove to be the major factor in the field.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: I am sure there are folks....

MrUREasy said:
converse, I am sure there are folks out there that have made studied this subject for some time. However, I currently own one of each - a national match, a scout/squad, and (finally) a SOCOM and I can't tell any difference and I sincerely doubt if anything downrange can either. There is a reduction in velocity, an increase in muzzle flash with the shorter barrels - however, in real life, I can't tell that much difference in them - they are all pure fun to shoot. I am sure the folks that take their shooting more seriously than I, will point out where I am wrong - however, any M1-A/M14 is a very capable weapon and the ability of the shooter will prove to be the major factor in the field.
Well said.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The "loose nut behind the butt" is the deciding factor

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
The only problem I have had shooting my short barreled M14 type rifles is complaints about the noise from fellow shooters! Also, if you do not like muzzle flash, you will need an effective flash hider on the 16 inch barrels. My 17 inch barrel with a FAC G3 muzzle break had a muzzle flash the size of a basketball in the daytime! When I replaced it with an M16 flash hider the flash was reduced to the size of a baseball.

·
Banned
3,055 Posts
I have read the Scout/Bush length has better harmonics and is a tad more accurate than the standard under 400 yards.
My Scout was indeed more accurate @ 100 yards than my buddies standard when both were new.
We took turns in a side by side evaluation and the Scout was better.

After a few mod's my Scout is currently very, very accurate :mrgreen:
My last mod was swapping out the MB for a USGI FS.

I have yet to sample a SOCOM.

·
Registered
61 Posts
All things being equal (barrel quality, ammo quality, shooter, etc.) a shorter barrel will tend to be more accurate than a longer one of the same contour. It is stiffer because it is shorter thus less harmonic movement. The only draw back is the velocity loss whick sometimes is only 75 FPS in a .308.

I have noticed, as well, that the shorter guns are less finicky about your hold. I figure that this is because there is less dwell time of the bullet in the barrel. Thus less time for you to move it or let it move, however you want to look at it. I also suspect that the bullet is closer to gone before the gas system starts to move. I know that this is why shorter FALs are easier to get groups out of than th 21" guns.

I have an HK USC .45 acp that will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards, if I hold it excactly the same every time. It is easier to shoot these nice groups with +P+ ammo because the bullets leave sooner. It would be a lot easier to shot if the barrel was 8" instead of 16".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all of your insights on this topic. It's much appreciated!
I definately have M-14 fever and am currently in love with all the variants. In fact will likely own more than one in the "future" (read: when I move out of NYC!).
I am really impressed with the M-14 in a 7.62 carbine configuration and its great to hear that the shorter barrel actually has some accuracy benefits at what would be practical ranges for a guy like me.
Again, its awesome to hear from M-14 enthusiasts who can actually own one so I guess I'm living vicariously through this forum!
Keep it coming!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.