M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered 2 wide front sights some time ago, and today I got around to checking them out. I requested .072" NM sights, as I like a fat post for shooting CoM in XTC matches. Well, I noticed they seem "out of spec." The "bases" appear to be too tall, and the height from the top of the blade to the base is about .080" taller than some other front sights I have. I do not think I can mill the blade down enough to make it workable - without compromising its strength due to the cross wise cut thru the sight.

So, are they "off" like I think, and is it usable for a shorter radius system (SOCOM etc?)

Or, are they headed to the scrap metal heap?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Who did you order them thru? They appear to be scout front sites for 18.5 in barrels. I have heard of taller NM front sites. But those you have are very tall.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Who did you order them thru? They appear to be scout front sites for 18.5 in barrels. I have heard of taller NM front sites. But those you have are very tall.
Roger That! What You have is Scout Front Sights,they are meant for shorter Barrels,they can also be used with a Standard Barrel if Your Rifle shoots too High!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Blacktail,

I wish I could remember who I got them thru, it has been at least a year or more.

I wondered if they would work on a Scout or Socom type set up - but, I am not familiar with either.

I will put them on the PX board if they do someone some good.

Thanks,
Jamey

EDIT: just read the other's posts. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Blacktail,

I wondered if they would work on a Scout or Socom type set up - but, I am not familiar with either.

I will put them on the PX board if they do someone some good.

Thanks,
Jamey

EDIT: just read the other's posts. Thanks for the replies!
They will definitely work on a Scout or a Standard Rifle that shoots way High, I don't know about a Socom, they have some kind of Weird Front Sight on them!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Those are Scout front sights.

You have rare sights that many SOCOM shooters would love to have.
Not rare, they are availabe from SAI.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I wish I could remember who I got them thru, it has been at least a year or more.

QUOTE]

I just had the same thing happen to my best customer, Doc...he sent off to Fulton Armory for a herd of match sights to replace all his stock sights....half were not match but standard, and some others that were match, were tall like yours. Only two in the bunch were match and were poorly cast and showed several lines, craters, uneveness and imperfections.

Update : Doc contacted Clint about this, and he did not send them back, but ordered more !....this time, they were all good and NM .062 with no imperfections.....now guess who has a bucket full like yours ?......geez louise.......

·
Super Moderator
11,173 Posts
You guys are forgeting that the M-79 used the same front site style as the M14 and its base that was higher. If I remember there was 3 hights that interchanged, short same as the M14, med as used on the bush/scout rifles, and then the tallest. If you lined them all up they would look like stair steps.

·
Registered
851 Posts
front sight

I just noticed that I do have three front sights all three are different heights. So the med ht is for a scout?

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts