M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I just got a bunch of parts in for my first build and I need a little help here. I've been fitting parts to see how they fit into place and I have trouble fitting what I believe to be a GI Gas tube to a Krieger Heavy Barrel. The Keyed Threaded portion will slip over the threads but that's where it stops. The gas tube won't go any further. There's another 3/8" to go before the gas tube aligns with the gas port.

Is it common for the GI gas tube to be a super tight fit with the Krieger heavy barrel? I'm thinking that I may have to take it to a lathe and use some fine sand paper to bring the outer diameter some.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Tight is good, but you should be able to tap the gas cylinder past the lock threads with a piece of wood and a light hammer. It'd be unusual for Krieger not to have cut the barrel's splines to spec. Make sure your gas cylinder's male splines are directly aligned upon entry with the barrel's female splines so you don't gall the barrel. A dab of graphite or dry moly might help smooth the path. The gas cylinder lock and plug screw are the parts that do the heavy lifting in affixing the gas cyl against the barrel band after you've achieved alignment of the barrel's gas port with the gas cyl's port. Check with a 1/16" Allen wrench or a fat paperclip. Let us know and/or send up a pic if that doesn't work out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I usually have to tap mine with a hard rubber mallet to get it on and off. Also I've noted (at least on my rifle) that the gas cylinder lock has to be the correct orientation or, after it is tightened, the gas port holes on the barrel and cylinder do not line up perfectly. If it look like the holes are not lined up after it's tightened, unscrew it and flip it around and retighten.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! I tried to gently hammer the Gas tube with my hand but it didn't work. I didn't want to use a persuader and damage the barrel or the Gas Tube. So I thought to ask the question before I take a Mallet to work it out.

I'm still a little ways before I install the Gas Tube though. Still have to adjust the barrel sholder, lap the bolt and ream the chamber. I'll keep things updated as I go along.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Hi Dom yes tight is good. My gi gas cylinders went on by hand but my sei gas cylinder needed to be tapped on. I thought I would screw up the threads but it did not happen. Keep in touch!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts