M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try NRA Long Range Prone. We have matches here from 600-1000 yds.

The only thing I've got to shoot is my SAI M1A loaded, a Bassett picatinny mount and a Weaver Tactical Grand Slam with mil-dot reticle. Would this be sufficient to start with, provided I do my part?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
The short answer is you can push a 175gr bullet out of a standard M1A/M14 fast enough to stay supersonic out to 1000yds.

You should be able to see the target...The aiming black is 44", X ring 10", and the 10 ring is 20"

The bullet drop is going to be over 400 inches you'll need around 35moa of adjustment on your scope. That's why you can buy scope mounts with 20moa of cant... or you can use your irons, most shooters will file down the front sight so they are not rolled all the way out at 1000yds.

Reactions: Crowbar

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I first shot LR Prone at 800, 900 and 1000 yards, a number of years ago, I used a .308 bolt gun with a Super Sniper 16 power scope, and a regular set of bases, and the scope had plenty of adjustment and I could see the target well. You need a scope like that, with at least 70 minutes of adjustment, and target or tactical elevation knob, with 1/4" or .01 Mil adjustments. The SS is still made and goes for about $300, and is a place to start if you don't want to get to much into a scope. I made Master with that outfit, on my first LR match and shot it for a number of years. The 10 ring is 2 minutes of angle, so it is about 20 inches at 1000 yards. If your Weaver has enough elevation adjustment, it would do fine, but looking at the spec's, some have enough and some don't, according to which model you have.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Perhaps you have experience shooting Long Range Prone w/ optics, but if not, be aware that the eyepiece needs to be more forward than usually seen from shooting off bench or bi pod. Rule of thumb would be to have the eyepiece pretty much over the end of the receiver/heel of the action. In prone/sling position your eye will be crowded forward and attempting to move your head back to gain eye relief is a big problem for such shooting.
A fault with the M1A/M14 w/ optics is your the head must be elevated quite a bit to line up with the scope and would need some sort of cheek rest to gain that elevation. Those can be purchased, but cardboard and tape will do the same thing and enables you to custom fit it to suit you. If you have a 100yd zero you can do the "come ups" for elevation and determine if your scope has sufficient elevation adjustment to reach the 1K mark prior to actually shooting. Count down the number of clicks to bottom out the elevation drum from you 100yd zero(record that number) return to 100yd. zero mark, then add some 35-37 minutes of elevation and see if it tops out and how much you have left to go. If .25moa. adjustment, 35moa x 4= Number of clicks to reach the goal or 140 clicks. Normally from the 100yd. zero it takes some 15 moa more to reach 600yds., add 10 more moa. for 800, add 5-6 more moa. for 900yds., and some 5 more moa. for 1000yds. and you can see you end up with 35 + for the total to reach the 1000yd. mark from your 100yd. zero. Elevation to target is the easy part, the wind adjustment will take some experience and study to be able to control the flight of the bullet in varying winds. If you have some experienced shooters at the match, let them shoot first and see what the wind is doing to them and later on inquire how much wind they were adjusting their sights. Most will be glad to discuss it with you and give you pointers. There is not a thing wrong with your equipment as you describe, but would caution that you will need a spotting scope for rifle scopes do a poor job of reading the wind and mirage. Not sure of what your magnification power is on your scope, but be aware that any power setting over 16x is a real challenge to the shooter for such power also magnifies the heart rate, breathing, slightest movement, etc. and would not go over 10X if available. There will be shooters using only "issue" sights and can keep their shots in the 9,10, and X ring and have no magnification. Best of luck to you and for me anyway shooting long range is an excellent learning experience.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I shoot longrange. I'd recommend taking the mount and scope off that rifle and shooting her with irons. If you can get a hold of a chrono and a 600 yd range I'd do my load development there. Try to get a 175 as fast as you can that shoots safely and accurately. Id recommend reading the Zediker article on loading for the M14 that is available online.

If you get frustrated with the M14 the next best bet is to get a savage Palma rifle and some nice sights. These are VERY competitive rifles straight out if the box. They are affordable. Don't be afraid to spend nearly as much on good sights as on the rifle. They are worth it! I'd rather shoot a savage with top of the line sights than a custom super duper rifle with cheap sights any day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts