M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought about this because all the range talk going on. I was 11 when I started to spend the summer with my Dad & Stepmother in West Palm Beach Florida. Dad being a cop we spent tons of time at the pistol range. What boy would complain about that.
Well this is where the story goes south. My Dad had a perfect setup for practicing shooting in matches. This was all new to me. He had the range box that had all the neat things you would need for the matches. He had a mini recorder that he recorded the firing commands. That was also neat to me that he thought of this.
Well one boring day at the house I also had a very impressive idea. We had some kind of bird, and I'd thought well I can teach that bird how to talk. If only I had something to record hello over and over again. I can't remember but I think I asked Dad if I could use his recorder from his box. Anyways the plan was in motion. This was working good until our next visit to the range. He was all set up with his Colt Gold Cup modified gun smithed by Clark.
It just so happened A cute blond was there that day, and I could tell ol Dad's wheels were turning and I was going to be a spectator of his great work. She was making her way down the line with A bunch of guys following her like guys do, like flies on sh.t. Here was ol Dad watching her progress. At that time he clicked play on that damn recorder. He was all in his proud stance waiting on those commands when to all's surprise, there was a hello from the recorder. THe look on Dads face and the almost laugh from the blond was an ol SH.T momment. After she pasted, my Dad said in a stammering speech YOU Son of a B:tch. Needless to say I learned a hard lesson that day.
I'd bet he still wouldn't laugh about that. But he laughed telling me the story about him letting Grandpa shoot his 45 and it splitting his nose open because he never shot an auto before.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also was one lucky kid. In one summer Dad knew a guy with the class III. We would go to an indoor range called shooter's world in FL. They had a display island in the store part, and it just so happened they got a new display the day we showed up. They had all kinds of neat stuff like: An all brass 22cal. water cooled mg. scaled down, A full auto air gun, And the kicker, a wagon wheeled 38 spl. gatling gun. What did they do after they put it together? They wheeled it to the range. The owner seen me standing there and waved me over. Not too many 11yr. olds back then I'm sure shot one of those. I also got to shoot a mac11 silenced, and a Thompson smg . Dad would just put 3 rds. in the mag. The owner walked up n ask him why he wasn't topping off the mag. Dad replied I don't want him to shoot your ceiling. The owner said ah it's bullet proof. I put 3 rds. into the ceiling. looked like popcorn falling from it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts