M14 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I talked with McMillan checking on an order and was informed that McMillan may stop making stocks for the M1A/M14. This includes the competition model as well as the M3A. This will be a major loss to the M14 community. The order that I placed in mid December will not be delivered until June or possibly July.

If any of you are contemplating a McMillan stock get your order in now even if you don't have immediate plans to build. If they get enough orders they may postpone cancellation of these fine stocks.

I just ordered two more of the competition model. They are still taking orders for m14 stocks, but delivery is about six months out. www.mcmillanusa.com

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wonder if SAI would try to source a similar product for the supermatch?

·
Registered
349 Posts
That is very sad and the end of another great era in the shooting world.

Jarhead

·
Registered
973 Posts
Wow. I bought a McMillan stock for my Rem 700 and I like them very much. A bit heavy but really stable. I actually did not know they made one for the M1A/M14. Do you mind posting a link to the stock you are buying?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just sent them an email asking if they cut custom width A3 spacers. I want a single piece instead of having two or three stacked. Maybe I'll see if they'll sell me a 6" piece so I can cut my own since they might wanna unload their stock.

·
Registered
71 Posts
McMillan Stocks Still Available

I talked with McMillan checking on an order and was informed that McMillan may stop making stocks for the M1A/M14. This includes the competition model as well as the M3A. This will be a major loss to the M14 community. The order that I placed in mid December will not be delivered until June or possibly July.

If any of you are contemplating a McMillan stock get your order in now even if you don't have immediate plans to build. If they get enough orders they may postpone cancellation of these fine stocks.

I just ordered two more of the competition model. They are still taking orders for m14 stocks, but delivery is about six months out. www.mcmillanusa.com
McMillan told us that we are their largest purchaser of M1A / M14 stocks and will continue to manufacture for us so long as we continue ordering in 10+ piece minimums. This includes M1A and M3A models only. This arrangement has been going on now for about 3 years. We DO sell their stocks a-la-carte at McMillan retail prices. LOU

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
That’s good to know Lou.
Thanks

I’m assuming Springfield had a similar 10 unit minimum for their super match line.
It’s probably just mac tuning their business model to focus on larger orders and avoid the customized aspect of the individual 1 stock order.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I suspect we are, collectively, considered a pain in the butt to deal with by McMillan. Lots of options and requests for low selling features like “Ft Devens cut” , no M14 butt plate cut, install custom front sling hardware hardware customer supplied, m14 selector cut, can you make a smear? Etc.........we as a community are marginally profitable at best, and can be difficult to please. The major manufacturers of rifles buying 10+ per order, all the same, with a staff craftsman capable of minor fitting needed during rifle manufacturing would be a more attractive customer to me. I considered myself extremely fortunate last year with my XM25 order, even though what I received was not 100% ready to build.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ted thank you for the heads up. I've got a rear lug Bula coming my way and will now place an order for a Mac stock before its too late.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bean counters are at it again...

I'm glad to see that LRB is still going to be able to get them. I've never ordered more than two at a time and it's hard for a small dealer like me to stock more. I can't tie up four or five thousand dollars in stocks when I'm only selling two or three a year. I've been buying direct from McMillan since 1985 and it will be a big loss to me if I can't get them.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
The bean counters are at it again...

I'm glad to see that LRB is still going to be able to get them. I've never ordered more than two at a time and it's hard for a small dealer like me to stock more. I can't tie up four or five thousand dollars in stocks when I'm only selling two or three a year. I've been buying direct from McMillan since 1985 and it will be a big loss to me if I can't get them.
Sign of the times Ted. The little guy has no way to compete with the big syndicates.
I do see more and more of the big guys teaming up with McMillian for their stocks. Doesn't look like they are going hang up their hat for quite awhile.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.