M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take the shotgun for granted from time to time. I have always had one and carry one in my patrol car at work, but just sort of " overlook it " on a daily basis. While most of the guys I shoot with are going after high tech AR's or M1A's no one shoots their shotgun on a regular basis.
I took out my issued Mossberg 590 w/ghost ring sights the other day and gave it a workout. We carry Federal max. 2 3/4 00 buck and Fed 1 oz. rifled slugs. Buckshot work out to 25 yards was quick and slapped the poppers down pronto :twisted: Slug work from 30, 40, and even 100 yards was just as easy. Kinda scarry when you think about it.... a 1 oz. slug that you can buy at Walmart that gets soild hits out to 100 yards in a $350.00 shotgun. Anyway... not high tech but it works.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I agree that the shot gun can be over looked too. I agree with your thoughts of a 1oz ball of lead and its devistating effects out at the 100 yrd line. I have a few friends that are LE and they always pratice with their AR's and MP5's but dont spend alot of time on the s-gun.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The shotgun is was and always will be the best close-in weapon system made
I took a 1-day submachinegun class at Front Sight a few years ago and the main thing I got from it was an appreciation of the shotgun
I'll take my riot gun over an SMG anyday
(Except maybe the 10mm MP-5 :D )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.