M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked this up for literally a song and a dance. Not sure if any of you saw it listed on Ebay. Did the "make offer" thing with a lowball number and it was accepted...

I'll restore the scope to it's original state and sell it. Already have 2 of them.

Mount has an M14 serial number, and the M84 tells me it must have been part of an early XM21 config...
My god, who would paint a scope like this... Picked this up from seller that came across it as part of an asset liquidation. Always works to my advantage.
Picked up an ART II without a cradle for $300 last year that was crinkle painted. Fixed the ocular side of it. flushed it out with nitrogen, and took 20 minutes and epoxy remover to restore the finish.
Picked up a pristine M84 missing the eye cup and sunshade for $500, and $70 later had a complete, mint scope.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, definitely restoring the M84, and depending on the bluing condition underneath, may strip, polish and send it to an outfit I use to reblue it.
What about the mount? Do you think just clean the rust, "earl" it up, and leave it, or should I strip and re-parkerize it in zinc phosphate? Although, I'm not sure if that is rust or just dried up cosmo. Guess I'll have to wait until it arrives...

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I guess I now get to replace my clone M1C mount!!

Not sure I ever posted pics of the "M1C" G&H mount I made by buying two vintage commercial mounts and using the front levers on one base so that they operate in the same direction like the M1C mounts. I also reconfigured the mount so that the threaded portion the levers screw into sit flush like the M1C mount, not protrude like the commercial ones.
I ended up with 2 M1C clone mounts, one where the levers rotate in the opposite direction.
Now the C mount is all STEEL, so that is why the threaded portions are just tapped into the mount. The commercial mounts are aluminum, so they use steel threaded inserts in countersunk holes. I popped em out, milled them down, flipped them around so the sit flush and brazed around them.

Since the commercial mounts cannot be parkerized (aluminum), I refinished them (and the new production rings from our friend in France) by bead blasting and air brushing Duracoat Parker with some flattening agent. Looks like it parkerized, right? Matches perfectly with the Army Weapons Command mount which has it's ORIGINAL parkerized finish. Did quite a bit of experimenting to get the finish I wanted.

My final clone mount...

Lever protrusion needs to be milled back a bit....

Conversion...

Commercial on top, converted on bottom.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Picked this up for literally a song and a dance. Not sure if any of you saw it listed on Ebay. Did the "make offer" thing with a lowball number and it was accepted...

I'll restore the scope to it's original state and sell it. Already have 2 of them.

Mount has an M14 serial number, and the M84 tells me it must have been part of an early XM21 config...
My god, who would paint a scope like this... Picked this up from seller that came across it as part of an asset liquidation. Always works to my advantage.
Picked up an ART II without a cradle for $300 last year that was crinkle painted. Fixed the ocular side of it. flushed it out with nitrogen, and took 20 minutes and epoxy remover to restore the finish.
Picked up a pristine M84 missing the eye cup and sunshade for $500, and $70 later had a complete, mint scope.

Toki,

I'm going to need one for my m21/xm21 project, please keep me in mind when you get that ready to sell.

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Well, definitely restoring the M84, and depending on the bluing condition underneath, may strip, polish and send it to an outfit I use to reblue it.
What about the mount? Do you think just clean the rust, "earl" it up, and leave it, or should I strip and re-parkerize it in zinc phosphate? Although, I'm not sure if that is rust or just dried up cosmo. Guess I'll have to wait until it arrives...
Original finish is almost always most desirable, but with that being said if it is too far gone and does not present well it is sometimes better to restore it back to it's original state.

If it were up for sale I would chose the later. MTC

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Original finish is almost always most desirable, but with that being said if it is too far gone and does not present well it is sometimes better to restore it back to it's original state.

If it were up for sale I would chose the later. MTC
Will depend. If that is rust, I want to remove it so that means finish may come off. I have some stuff that may not attack the parkerizing like Naval Jelly does. We will see.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
You are right of course, never leave rust, most times when you remove rust all thats left is bare metal, then it must be refinished. Not to worry as I have seen your work and it is professional grade.

I really enjoy watching a genius at work, please post pictures at every stage. Its going to be fantastic watching the transformation.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are right of course, never leave rust, most times when you remove rust all thats left is bare metal, then it must be refinished. Not to worry as I have seen your work and it is professional grade.

I really enjoy watching a genius at work, please post pictures at every stage. Its going to be fantastic watching the transformation.
Can't wait to restore that scope. Hopefully it's not epoxy based paint. Bubba went all Andy Warhol with his airbrush...

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In hindsight.. I picked up this package deal for $1000.
Restored the scope and it's sold (sorry Renisin, just saw your posts)
Sold it for $875, here it is in its restored state. Changed most of the glass, I polished the tube and had it blued, new turret base parts, new reticle mount, new lock rings, search and found eye window assembly it needed. A bit of work.

So... Basically got an authentic M1C G&H mount for $125 + cost for the M84 parts... Not a bad deal, huh?

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Toki, you do great work. Maybe you can do one for me in the future. On another note you wouldn't have a walnut epoxy walnut stock you could let me have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts