M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came across a posting on another site of a member having issues with some 7mm Nosler blem hunting bullets that were .002" larger than the last batch. I remember a post here a while back of a member complaining that his Sierra Matchking weights "were all over the place". I think it was a couple tenths of a grain?

I personally think the problems with 7mm blems was an anomaly. I have a large amount of Nosler Custom Comp .308 in 168 and 175 grain of different production batches. Checking the 168's and 175's, almost all of them were between .3081" and .3083", that's pretty consistent.

I went on to to a random analysis of the weight variation of 11 168 grain .308

168.0-1
168.1-2
168.2-6
168.3-2

Using my non-scientifically calibrated scale the vast majority, 6 out of 11 were the same. Furthermore, 2 tenths of a grain variation is only .12%, one eighth of one percent of the projectile. I did not measure bearing surface of the projectiles though. Over-all I would rate the Nosler CC blems as highly consistent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had some problems a couple of years ago with a box of 1000 77 HPBT Nosler Custom Comp bullets that I purchased through the club program. The bullets looked dull and had media in with them when I opened the box. That box did not shoot very well and with a few flyers that I know I didn't call. The next box I opened, the bullets were all bright and shiny and flew right where I aimed them.

I still have 4000 of them sitting under the loading bench, that I use for practice and local matches, but when I go to Camp Perry or a serious match around home, I load with Sierras.

As for Nosler .30 caliber bullets... 155, 168, 175... I have NEVER had an issue.

The only blemished Nosler bullets I have purchased were 200gr HPBT 8mm bullets. They shoot just as good as the factory firsts, and I have still yet to find the blemish.

My experience... I like Nosler products, just not that one box of 77's.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I understand, your issue with the 77's happened to a lot of people. I have over a thou of 77 blems, and all the times they went "somewhere else" was due to my shooting ability unfortunately (or maybe fortunately in the blem's case).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.