M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I want to thank everyone reading as I know what a wealth of knowledge forums like these are.

Some background on me. I have been reloading for bolt guns and pistols for 5 years and for my AR for 3 years. I follow published data and have not had a any problems. I am asking for your help here so I do to run into any.

I recently purchesed a m1a scout with an 18 inch barrel. I have several range sessions in with factory ammo and iron sights. I recently purchased a burris scout scope 2x7x32. I would like to utilize the balistic plex retical. @ 100, 200, 300, 400 and lastly at 500. Burris has listed the hash mark bullet drop increments at
100-0
200-3.1
300-13.5
400-30.1
500-55.3
Using the federal ballistic calculator I found I would need to achieve 2800 fps using 140 grain nosler custom competitions to closely match that bullet drop. Nosler listed load data for the 140 cc using Imr-4895 as 43gn-47gn max. @ 47 grains they are listing using a 24 inch barrel they are achieving 3005 fps. I know I might not get that, but would like to get close.

I do not want to damage my rifle and I am aware of the standard 41.5 ish charge of Imr-4895 with 165 smk, as this is what my brother uses in his standard with his sage ebr. But this will not match my retical.

At the end of the day I would like to know is this going to be to much pressure for the rifle? I am a bolt gun guy, so I dont worry about the gun as much. I look for signs of pressure with my spent cases. Has anyone had experience with this load and or scope? Does anyone have a load using a lighter bullet that would work better. My idea was to use a lighter bullet to reduce pressures and achieve the veloicity I need.

Now I did speak with Nosler. They said to stay around 2700 fps due to pressure. And they did say stick with Imr-4895. I also spoke with Springfield, and they said it would be fine. Two conflicting opinions from the two manufactures has led me here.

Also I attempted to load Imr-4064 IMR has load data here.

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/308win-2005apr03.php

I used the 140 barnes txb load data as it was balanced between the 150 and the 130 pretty evenly. However I needed to stop at 47.7 grains because I was at max capacity for the case. While I am aware the barnes are solid copper, the nosler bt in 150 are lead core and the sierras in 130 are lead core and the barnes are ballanece between the two.

So I am stuck here. My goal is to use this scope. But at the same time not damage my rifle. I do have a ruger gunsite that I run a nikon pistol scope on using sierra 165 hpbt and it is dead on at 100, 200 and 300 yards using 46 grains of varget at 2600 fps and the bdc scope. If I can't make this scope work ill return it and go with the nikon and this load.

Thank you for all your help.

I am using lc match cases.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
never shot the 140 cc's and dont use scopes, but 42gr of 8208 in l/c brass with cci 200, and Nolser 155 CC and the same with 43.5 IMR4895 will match the yard markers on the elevation pinion on a M1A. hopefully someone will have some exp with your scope and could steer you straight. i will never use Varget in my M14's again and would not recommend it but some people do. the loads i gave are a tad over 2700fps IIRC.

go straight to RAMMAC's post below.

42gr of 8208 and 43.5gr of IMR4895 are very close to top end loads for an M1A (with the 155's), maybe with the lighter bullet you could gain some speed but i'm guessing you would still be near max pressure or over to achieve 2800fps.

remember to start low with the charge and work up!

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Without knowing more specifics about your load I can only estimate but I would recommend changing powders, use IMR 3031 and you will be able to reach 2800 fps without exceeding the SAAMI max chamber pressure (62,000 PSI).

Definitely STOP using anything over 45.5 grains of IMR 4064 in your rifle with that bullet. 45.5 grains will give you chamber pressures of around 60,000 PSI under standard atmospheric conditions, if you try those loads when the ambient temps go up your chamber pressure will definitely rise.

Reactions: bustedknuckles

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
In the shorter bbls, I've had pretty good luck with Benchmark also. Chamber pressures can get high quick with the 150s and 168s. Most of my loads as of late for the 18.5" and the 16" (socom and scout) have been using benchmark with 125 TNTs and SSTs.

3031 is damn good powder and would be my first stop in your shoes. Do you have access to a chronograph? If you are trying to approach a max load, it is about the only way to validate that your pressures are in a safe range due to lot to lot variations. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Rammac would be able to help(I defer to his judgement whenever possible), but I'd post up some specifics such as brass type (capacity in grs of water), primer, COAL, etc. He has a hell of a lot more experience than I do with 3031(shame I haven't used it more because it is a proven powder for these guns).

I went with Benchmark this year mostly because it was what I could get my hands on. It appears to be temp stable and easy to clean up after.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
43.5 grains of IMR 3031 with a COAL of 2.80" would be my max load, it should produce a chamber pressure of around 57,000 PSI and a muzzle velocity of about 2830 fps. My guess is that you'd get better groups around 42 grains or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nosler 140 cc range report.

It was a very eventful day at the range. Rain, tree trimming crews. It was stop and go all morning. But with some outstanding results. I used the lowest charge of Imr-4895 to sight in my scout. @ 43 grains got me on paper. But the 45 grain charge of 4895 was the most accurate. That foam orange and yellow circle is a little over 3 inchs wide. I was ok with but not impressed.

After working my way up with the 3031 I was however extreamly impressed. I am bellow my velocity goal. Buy a meer 25 fps. So I am happy with 2775 fps. The accuracy was outstanding. What do you know 42 grain predictied by Rammac was the key! The yellow dot is 1 inch in diameter. I have bolt guns that are not this accurate! I am so impressed. This is great.

Rammac I owe you one. If you were local I would be buying your some drinks! Rammac I am official renaming you the majic powder man!!!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
What COAL did you end up with for the Nosler 140 CC. 42.0 grains of 3031 sounds about right, but if I use the 2.750 COAL that Nosler tested with, the bullet seems to barely in the case.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I shoot 140 grain Nosler and 45 gr is my 4895 charge also 8208 with 44.3 gr will work too LC brass WLR primers the 140 grain Nosler Cc are short and can't go much longer than 2.80, here's a target trying the 140 grain and my Supermatch

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.