M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was cleaning up my m1a after my last range outing and i noticed there are a few very small nicks in the metal around the rim of the chamber opening.

is this normal wear or should i be concerned about this?

many thanks for the help as always.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Pictures would be helpful, but there should not be "nicks" on the chamber edges.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The nicks are nothing.

The gouges on the inside of the receiver might be worrisome, but I wouldn't stop shooting it unless you're having failures to function.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
As you said, those nicks/gouges could have been there when the rifle was new. One way to tell, remove op rod and spring. With the bolt in the rifle, move forward by hand and see if you get any contact at the points you have noted. Let us know what you find. dozier

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Don't know how many rounds you've shot but if no operational issues I don't think you have a problem. Looks like some sloppiness in manufacture from here. May clean up to some degree with use. If it were mine I'd shoot it. Each time you clean just give the entire rifle a good eyeball inspection, do your tilt tests, check tightness where tight is needed and you'll be GTG. A good inspection should be part of your cleaning routine anyway and doesn't take hardly any extra time, just make it a habit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
same marks on scout

I fondled a brand new scout at the gun shop today and it too had the almost exact same marks and nicks seen in your pictures. Must be sloppy manufacturing on SAI's part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
if its a Springfield, you can call their customer service department and ask em if its normal or if it needs to be serviced. Also shoot em an email with those pics. Ive had good experiances with their customer service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts