M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the reviews on the Norinco receiver and the bolt? I'm a neophyte to the M14 world. I have a Krieger heavy barrel and I want to build an M14. I'm limited to the receivers I can work with becasue I'm in Canada. Springfield seems to be impossible to find up here these days and the only other option right now is the Norinco.

On top of the Krieger barrel I have a sadlak coated gas piston and a sadlak mount.

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
Canadian Gun Nuts is a good forum, there is a old m14 forum member up in your area Lazerus(?) worth a look, he maybe better able too help you out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've built three match grade boomstiks on Norinco receivers but as for the bolts I'm using USGI bolts (just because I could) an Im running tite headspace (1.630) two barrels are heavy an one med weight (All three started out short chambered).There is nothing wrong with the receivers as they are forged an generally in spec very close to that of genuine USGI receivers (may need a lil mill work just to clean things up a bit) an as for the bolts (on the newer models) there isnt really nothing wrong with them either other than they may be a little long on the headspace unless your barrel is short chambered then you can ream it to what you want for headspace.An remember with new Kreiger barrels you will have to turn down the barrel shoulder to get it to time rite.Hope this helps some for ya.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've built three match grade boomstiks on Norinco receivers but as for the bolts I'm using USGI bolts (just because I could) an Im running tite headspace (1.630) two barrels are heavy an one med weight (All three started out short chambered).There is nothing wrong with the receivers as they are forged an generally in spec very close to that of genuine USGI receivers (may need a lil mill work just to clean things up a bit) an as for the bolts (on the newer models) there isnt really nothing wrong with them either other than they may be a little long on the headspace unless your barrel is short chambered then you can ream it to what you want for headspace.An remember with new Kreiger barrels you will have to turn down the barrel shoulder to get it to time rite.Hope this helps some for ya.
Thanks! This does help. What about the gas system on the Norincos? I would replace the gas piston, but is the rest good or not so good? How about the spring? Is it a keeper?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some are good an some not so good ,for a shooter you'll be fine with the norc ones but if your wantin a match shooter go with a USGI unit an have it unitized by weldin or with the glue an screw method.An remember that you also need a standard thread gas lock an castle nut to goes with your new barrel as the factory norc ones wont work as they have matric threads.
Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
The threads on a norinco reciever are also metric. My father tried putting a match barrel on his norinco. It will not accept standard threaded barrels. Had to find a "good" norinco or polytech barrel for now. Still shoots 3/4 MOA groups from the bench.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The threads on a norinco reciever are also metric. My father tried putting a match barrel on his norinco. It will not accept standard threaded barrels. Had to find a "good" norinco or polytech barrel for now. Still shoots 3/4 MOA groups from the bench.
The threads on the reciever are not metric only the gas lock an castle nut threads are metric on the barrel.As one that plays with mostly Norcs I can tell ya that all mine have either Heavy ,med weight or USGI barrels on them.Only one receiver I had a problem with an all I did was try a different barrel an then I was golden.

Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
The threads on the reciever are not metric only the gas lock an castle nut threads are metric on the barrel.As one that plays with mostly Norcs I can tell ya that all mine have either Heavy ,med weight or USGI barrels on them.Only one receiver I had a problem with an all I did was try a different barrel an then I was golden.

Cheers
Yeah, perhapse i should clarify my post. I was in the shop with the gunsmith when we tried to put 3 different USGI profile barrels that I had lying around, none of them would thread on more than a half turn or so. The threads seemed finer on the reciever. So we put the original barrel back on and continued building. That is my only Norinco experience so just be careful.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is the second time I have heard that barrels have trouble fitting Norinco receivers. Not good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts