M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been answered before but wanted to get the latest info. Thanks for your patience!

Anyway, I am fairly new to the M14 even though I've had a Norinco gun for several years. I really haven't shot it much and have always been toying with the idea of getting it worked into a bush rifle. Now that I'm doing a little more research, I hear that the receiver may be too soft to mess with. On the one hand, we have Smith Enterprises offering a heat treatment. On the other hand, we have Fulton Armory saying that the Chinese receivers are as good as a real USGI part and only the bolt and trigger group needs to be replaced.

What has been your experience? Should I proceed with the build or sell the Norinco and just buy a Springfield?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Tokarev,

Welcome.

You can always try the file test. Find an area on the receiver that is inconspicuous and see if a file can cut the receiver. If it does that is a clue that the receiver is to soft.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I've personally never had any problems at all with all the Chinese receivers that I have owned.

Theres beau coup Canadians with the Norincos and to my knowledge they have always had very good luck with theirs as well.

I would'nt hesitate with going ahead with a build on a Chinese receiver but then thats just my opinion ... :wink:

Six

·
Banned
611 Posts
My norinco has more rounds through it than most gi rifles have ever seen and it has never given me a problem. It is only the norinco receiver and I did check it once for hardness. I can't remember what it was but was right on spec.
Isn't it funny how just a couple years ago fulton armory and quite a few others were talking trash about norincos and polys and now they have done a complete 180?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Maybe some of our Canadian friends will jump in here on this as they have a whole lot of them up there.

On another note (I just remembered this) my buddy with the Class III has two of them in the Rock-N-Roll mode and they hammer along all day long with no problems at all when he wags em to the full auto shoots ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
41 Posts
Norinco M14s were going for $699 (Cdn) up here until last spring. One retailer (Marstar – http://www.marstar.ca/Norinco/longguns.htm ) then started offering them 9 months ago for $399. Well… talk about a mini-boom.

I don't think any of us have put 10,000 rounds through one yet, so I can't speak about long-term reliability, but aside from the cheesy wood they come with, the rifles seem pretty solid. I believe Fulton was negative on the Norinco bolts a few years back, but not the receivers. A lot of us have gotten USGI parts out of habit from reading U.S. sites such as this one and BR.com, but it doesn't seem to be necessary to upgrade – many guys have great shooters right out of the box.

That said, I'm one of the upgrade sluts, and bought some TRW bolts, rooster's op rod spring guides and redone USGI stocks for mine. Others are exchanging their trigger groups and hammers for USGI, and dropping in Garand rear sights in place of the originals (M1s having higher quality and finish). We don't have the stockpile of M14 parts in Canada that you guys have, so necessity and a low dollar has become the mother of invention. All we need now is a gunsmith up here as familiar as Ron Smith is with M14, and doing the quality work he does, and we're good to go. What the hell, I just may have to learn the trade myself and practice a little machining – then I'd have a new job up here just working on Norincos. Ron, if you're reading this, let me know if you'd like an apprentice who could take your skills north of the border.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
There was a Canadian fellow who frequented the Gun & Knife forum a couple years back. His name was Lazarus2000. Does anyone have his e-mail address. If they do, invite him to the board. He was very M14 knowlegable.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
260 Posts
One of our Members at www.canadiangunnutz.com did a hardness test on a few Norinco bolts, and on a few USGI bolts.While the USGI bolts were a couple of points harder, the Norinco bolts were well within Milspec.

The Norinco M304/M14 Rifles we have up here right now have a forged reciever.Up until recently, the Chinese were the only ones offering a fordged reciever(Until IIRC, LRB started offering them this year).The quality of their rifles has improved since the early 1990s.

One of our other members Hungry(who also is a member here) has been building M14 type rifles for over 15 years.He is probably the most knowledgable person in Canada when it comes to the M14 type rifles.He got me hooked years ago, and I have personally owned one of the rifles he built.It was the sweetest shooting semi auto rifle I have ever owned. :D Regret selling it to this day!! :cry:

SKBY.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried the file idea on one of the legs of the receiver and it seems hard. The file would probably cut if I really dug it in but it just skates across otherwise.

On another note, I borrowed a .308 field gauge and have found that the bolt will close on this. I have shot the rifle and it hasn't busted cases or anything so I assume it's "safe" but a GI bolt conversion will have to be done before I shoot it again.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Tokarev: This might help you out...

SAMMI Field Reject: 1.638
NATO Field Reject: 1.6455

Clymer FR Gauge: 1.6455
Forster FR Gauge: 1.638

If you were using a Forster gauge, then you rifle may be safe to shoot NATO surplus ammo. Look at the primers onexpended cases, are the primers backing out? That's what I have observed with both of the M14 type rifles I've seen with excessive headspace.

One was an SA M1A made in 1983 with a chrome moly barrel (the barrel was just shot out) & the other was a Polytech with a chrome lined barrel. I had the SA rebarreled & had the Poly converted to all-USGI parts. Problem(s) solved.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I believe the Milcun range is up and running.Keith is a top notch shooter!!!They were featured in the noew defuncted Tactical Shooter magazine.

I'm not sure about his M-14 experience.

If I need M-14 work done I can't do, I just send stuff to Hungry.I have known him for a number of years before the internet thing got going.

SKBY.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.