M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm recently purchased a new to me Norinco M305, had mine about 3 months now. Only had it out to the range a couple times so far, and it keeps stove piping. I've been running American Eagle 150gr FMJ's through it, and they are shooting reasonably well besides the FTE 1 out of every 2 5 round mags. I've done a ton of reading on the subject and pretty sure it's narrowed down to the ejector, and from my research there seem to be 2 different methods to fix the problem on a low rise rail M14. Some say clipping the spring off a bit of a wind at a time until it ejects right will cure it, others say to rebuild the bolt with USGI or just new parts in general. How could 2 opposite fixes potentially fix the same problem? I've got pics of the bolt and action below showing some of the signs I'm seeing.

Here you can see the ejected rounds are definitely hitting the bottom of the scope rail.

Here you can see where the ones that get caught are impacting the chamber. Also you can see the spot on the scope mount that looks like its getting hit pretty often. A lot of the recovered shells have dents on them, so I think it's probably getting hung up a lot more but only occasionally getting fully stuck.

Here's another angle of the chaffing on the scope mount.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sounds like the scope mount is definetely causing the problem. Problem is how do you get the brass to eject at a different angle? My suggestion would be to file or re shape the ejector and leave the spring alone although changing the spring tension may solve the problem. Its probably gonna be a trial and error process.

Rebuilding the bolt can possible change the ejection pattern as well. Just won't know until you try.

Another fix is to try a different oprod spring. From what I heard the weaker the spring the faster the bolt moves back and the farther back the brass ejects.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another fix is to try a different oprod spring. From what I heard the weaker the spring the faster the bolt moves back and the farther back the brass ejects.
Thanks. Would just shortening the oprod spring achieve the same thing, as there'd be less preload? I think next time I shoot it, I'll bring my camera and tripod, and record some video to try and see exactly what its doing. Do you think 30 frames/sec is fast enough to catch it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I have an M305 and had the same exact problem. I went from an ARMS 18 mount to a Promag mount. Nothing fixed it. I attended the HungryM14 clinic in Calgary and he clipped 2 coils off my ejector and extractor spring. That didn't help.

I finally ordered a USGI ejector spring/plunger as well as a USGI extractor and spring. I've been told that the norinco internal bolt springs were not up to snuff. When I took out my norc ejector spring, it was kinked. That was after it had been shortened.

I'm really pleased to say that the USGI springs and hardware have totally solved my problem. I've now shot about 180 rounds of 147g MFS FMJ and soft points through this rifle with not a single problem. I've also put a box of (IIRC 155g) Winchester hunting loads through with no problems. I used to get about 1 jam between the charging handle and the receiver every 2 (5rd) magazines. Now none at all since - 200 rds.

Contact Hungry on Canadagunnutz.com and he may have some. Otherwise, you want to find these parts and get them shipped to you. My information is they must be USGI to solve the problem. If you're coming to Calgary, bring your bolt and springs and I'll do the job for you. I bought the bolt tool to get it done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there,

I am having same problem, using arms18 mount. Jim did you get your parts from Hungry?
and roughly what did they cost you?
A little leary on the head space issue with norinco bolts and wondering if anyone has actually checked theirs...thinking I might replace entire bolt assy at same time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there,

I am having same problem, using arms18 mount. Jim did you get your parts from Hungry?
and roughly what did they cost you?
A little leary on the head space issue with norinco bolts and wondering if anyone has actually checked theirs...thinking I might replace entire bolt assy at same time.
Yes, I did. He's a really good guy and completely trustworthy. I think the parts came to less than $20 excluding shipping and the bolt-tool I bought from him.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi. I'm recently purchased a new to me Norinco M305, had mine about 3 months now. Only had it out to the range a couple times so far, and it keeps stove piping. I've been running American Eagle 150gr FMJ's through it, and they are shooting reasonably well besides the FTE 1 out of every 2 5 round mags. I've done a ton of reading on the subject and pretty sure it's narrowed down to the ejector, and from my research there seem to be 2 different methods to fix the problem on a low rise rail M14. Some say clipping the spring off a bit of a wind at a time until it ejects right will cure it, others say to rebuild the bolt with USGI or just new parts in general. How could 2 opposite fixes potentially fix the same problem? I've got pics of the bolt and action below showing some of the signs I'm seeing.

Here you can see the ejected rounds are definitely hitting the b

Here you can see where the ones that get caught are impacting the chamber. Also you can see the spot on the scope mount that looks like its getting hit pretty often. A lot of the recovered shells have dents on them, so I think it's probably getting hung up a lot more but only occasionally getting fully stuck.

Here's another angle of the chaffing on the scope mount.
I had this happen on my scoped Norinco M14 . What i did was file were the shell is hitting the mount and rail till it dosent do it anymore . If you are carefull ,you can blend it in like its ment to be there .

F.K.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I see this common, my scope dings look exactly like your pics Master yeti and they stove pipe as well.
Looks like I'll be PM'ing Barney ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts